Sorcery + Immunity: Exhaustion...

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
FurrySaint
Bystander
Bystander

Sorcery + Immunity: Exhaustion...

Post by FurrySaint » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:40 pm

In the Sorcery rules, it says you can have Immunities equal to your power level with sustained duration. Weeeell...if you cast Immunity: Exhaustion, you don't sleep, so you can sustain powers forever with a free action, correct? Anyone else see a problem here? ^^;

JasonZZ
Bystander
Bystander

Post by JasonZZ » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:01 pm

Not really. You could always be stunned (powers drop when stunned) or have your power neutralized.... Not to mention that that's not a big problem anyway. Anyone can be immune to exhaustion for 2 pp, and then their sustained powers can be kept running indefinitely too.

Jason Z. Z. Roder

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by the_masochist » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:46 am

i have trouble thinking of a power that would really be a problem if kept running indefinatly, usually once the fight ends the bad guy is cuaght and in jail, and if not, then what power did you sustain on him (it be kinda funny to watch the atomic brain run as fast a molasasses, hopelessly trying to escape a bomb counting down).

I guess the way I see it is this: if it's that hindering, the fight will be over quickly(well, Spasm been paralyzed... i guess we take him to jail now... hmm), if it not that hindering, then it's not even worth sustaining on your opponent (oh, and remember the first fight with the clique, boy toy still has one rank of str drained.)

but, kudos to you, or as my friend bill would say, great job trying to be a rule rapist :D

FurrySaint
Bystander
Bystander

Post by FurrySaint » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:08 pm

Well, this is for an NPC villian mage. I figure he's used spells to keep himself young and protected from the stuff normal people worry about (like Aging). 'Immunity' isn't on his normal spell list, so I figure when he 'extra effort' casts it, Exhaustion is on this list along with a lot of other things and so he can spend a Hero/Villain point to cast it and he can sustain it till someone knocks him out. So a PC sorcerer could do the same thing, really.

Hmm. One Immunity is 2pp, but he can power stunt the Immunity spell for 2pp and get Sorcery rank number of immunities... (goes to do more figuring)

Dread Lord
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Dread Lord » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:21 pm

Sustained powers require you to constantly think about keeping them going. Try thinking about your car for the rest of the day, at some point you'll discover that your mind has wandered off to things like sex or TV shows.

As a rule in my game any Sustained power ends automaticly at the end of the scene, with the exception of some powers which by their nature remind you to think about them (like how forgeting to fly between scene changes has that falling suddanly thing.)

Basicly a guy useing this immunity would be spending the whole day thinking "Don't get tired. Don't get tired. Don't get tired. Don't get tired. Don't get tired. Don't get tired."

Or if he buys Immunity to exaustion as a standard Super Feat then tries to keep the villian paralyzed forever he would have to spend every moment of every day thinking about it.

Try this; to keep a sustained power active between scene changes requires a Consentration check DC15 +1 for each scene change and +5 for each full day. Very soon the mage will find that his mind has wandered to some re-run of Star Trek he'd seen earler and the villian is now running around lose again.
I sometimes wonder if I've ever made a smart decision.