Creating an energy vampire villain

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Shinobi
Firebrand
Firebrand

Creating an energy vampire villain

Postby Shinobi » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:06 pm

Hi all,
just wanted to know if anyone has ever tried to create an energy vampire. I'm looking at combining the drain and transfer powers. What I want ideally is a villain who empowers himself by draining the heroes.
Any advice, so far I gave hime Transfer and Drain as an extra, I've also created 2 versions of the character PL 5 and PL 10. Any suggestions other than this for a villain like this.

Cheers.

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby the_masochist » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:01 am

energy control seems to beat me over the head when I put thought into this. it would be too expensive to have energy contol (everything) (i think, i don't have a rule book handy, it might be a power stunt) but beyond transfer and drain (a little redundant, but a guys gotta eat right?)

absorbtion also comes to mind, but that husk of a power needs to die a horrible death in hell... I don't like absorbtion :evil: ::relizes he nearly suggested absorbtion and shudders::

well... um... I guess I'm done ranting

Shinobi
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Shinobi » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:52 pm

Thanks...?
:?:

Amnarii
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Amnarii » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:16 pm

If you only want an 'energy vampire' I would take drain, and have the boost extra, which is triggered. Something like:

Drain (Powers) [extras: Boost, [extras: Triggered (by Drain), All Attributes (Physical); flaws: triggered only], All Attributes (Powers),]

That would cost (I think), 2 for Drain, +1 for Boost extra, +1 for triggered, +1 for All Attributes, -1 for triggered only, +1 for all attributes; or 5pp/rank. You could rearrange it so you drain mental attributes and boost your own powers, or drain physical to boost your own mental, etc.; all for the same cost.

I think the transfer would be more in the lines of a mimic type of character, or a power thief type of character, not a power-vampire.That may just be me though.

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:28 pm

why do you need the drain or boost as extras? doesn't transfer already do that?
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:24 pm

I believe the difference is that it drains one thing and boosts another. Normally Transfer boosts the same thing it drains.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”