Penetrating Vision question

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Corvus
Groupie
Groupie

Penetrating Vision question

Post by Corvus » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:51 pm

Trying to sort out a new gizmo for an NPC ..

He has Penetrating Vison (can see through everything except Lead).

If he buys a gadget with the Stun and Paralysis attacks and uses Extra's to bring the Range from Normal to Sight, can the attacks pass through walls ?

Penetrating Attack might be the solution here ...

I'm thinking:
Stun/Paralysis (both bought the same way)
Extra: Increased Range
Extra: Penetrating Attack (say, 5X, to get through anything with Hardnesss 10)

Doea this sound right ?

-Chris

Patriarch
Compatriot
Compatriot

Post by Patriarch » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:16 pm

Page 58 of Core book.

Sight range allows the power to work on any target in your line of sight. If there are any obstructions between you and the target or the target has total cover, the power does not work.

I would not allow Penetrating Attack to bypass this restriction. Being able to attack people through walls when they can not retaliate is a serious balance issue, in my mind.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by tomorrow » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:23 pm

When if the character had ranged phasing ability and a weapon... it might make a nifty stunt.

You could also give a weapon rudimentary Independent Intelligence and phasing as power to represent computer guided "phase missiles".

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by the_masochist » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:12 am

(low wistle) phase missles eh? i'm thinking you should add telescopic senses to his choice list of powers, maybe dark vision two... yeah, anyone within 10,240 feet would feel his wraith. do the same with something like mind control and you have an almost perfect arch-villian... as GM, i don't think i could loathe my charcters that much...

lol,