Think I figured out a way to stat Gambit's powers

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Prescient
Hero
Hero

Think I figured out a way to stat Gambit's powers

Post by Prescient » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:38 am

Can anyone find a flaw in this?

Boost (Weapon) (Extras: Explosive, Flaw: Limited - Can only double the bonus of the weapon being thrown).

I know it seems a little low, a throwing card being given a +1 (most likely) and then doubling to +2. However, if you give him the Throwing Mastery feat then it would go up to his Dexterity bonus, which then seems high.

Maybe add a weight chart or something to determine the amount of boost to add instead of the damage bonus, since there is often small things that do a lot of damage.

Anyone have anything to add?

Prescient
Hero
Hero

Post by Prescient » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:24 pm

I'm thinking of something like this:

Kinetic Boost +6 (Extras: Delay, Explosive, Autofire; Flaws: Charge – backwards Boost, every half action spent charging adds +1 to the damage bonus to the weapon and +5 feet of explosion.)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Omega Girl
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Omega Girl » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:01 pm

Wow... how many times has this topic come up?

I stick by the simplified version: Just call it Energy Blast. The charging things aspect is really just a special effect, since he's never without a ready supply of cards or whatnot to throw. The explosions never really seem to be very big, so I don't even know if you'd apply any extras to it... maybe Delay.

I'll never understand why everyone loves Gambit's power so much... Now Boom Boom... there was a power worth having!

Prescient
Hero
Hero

Post by Prescient » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:06 pm

If I've always had a problem with EB in that it doesn't deal out as much damage as SS or Strike. I've seen all of the arguments on it but it is still gimped.

I feel that the power should enhance the object being thrown, not just give it an effect. If he picks up a big object then it should do more damage.

The Trapster
Luminary
Luminary

Post by The Trapster » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:03 am

Prescient wrote:I feel that the power should enhance the object being thrown, not just give it an effect. If he picks up a big object then it should do more damage.
I heard once that he doesn't charge big objects because it takes a long time.
Maybe that is different now?
A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

Prescient
Hero
Hero

Post by Prescient » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:01 am

No, that's correct. He also doesn't like how big the explosion becomes, unless he needs it of course.

However, he has been known to charge very big objects, like statues that he through from a window that took two men to lift, blowing up an entire courtyard below.

Tagnik
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Tagnik » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:40 am

EB + Explosive extra plus another EB Extra.

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by the_masochist » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:53 am

why not something along the lines of alternate form (explosive)(Extras:range(touch), area, Flaw:objects only) and each rank limited to the size of the object being charged...

wow, i make things complicated...

right so EB wtih explosion,