A noob question

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
jolt
Bystander
Bystander

A noob question

Post by jolt » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:10 pm

A character who is unconcious is knocked out and helpless and further stun attacks are considered lethal. Now if an unconscious character takes a severe lethal hit, he could become disabled. This now means he's awake and able to act. That seems sort of strange to me. If a character was unconscious but is now disabled, does he still have to treat stun attacks as lethal?

Apart from strenous activity, what pushes a character from disabled to dieing? Another disabled result? Any successful hit at all?

Thanks for your help?

jolt

solidcobra
Bystander
Bystander

Post by solidcobra » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:09 pm

I'd say he goes straight into dying status, personally. Consider unconscious status to be, once per round, doing the half-action "nothing", thus he will be dying on his next initiative phase or at the start of the next round, whichever comes first.

Scholz
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Scholz » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:56 am

You can have more than one effect.
You can be unconscious, disabled, and dying (as well as blind, stunned, and thirsty).
I would say ability and combat effects do not stack, simple take the greatest of them all.
Are you seriously telling me that "I see your forcefield protects you from that!" is the only thing you know how to say in English?
http://www.academyadventures.blogspot.com/

jolt
Bystander
Bystander

Post by jolt » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:00 pm

You can have more than one effect.
You can be unconscious, disabled, and dying (as well as blind, stunned, and thirsty).
I don't see how that can work rules wise. Disabled lets you act, but strenous activity moves you into dieing. Unconscious lets you do nothing at all. Being both disabled and unconscious is no different that just being unconscious; since you can't do any strenous activity while unconscious. And if you're already dieing then disabled seems superfluous. And I don't see how you could be both unconscious and dieing at the same time. Unconscious just makes all damage Lethal. Which means you'll become disabled first and wake up.

And this still doesn't answer what it takes to push soemone from disable to dieing. If its in the rulebook I can't find it. Does a second disabled attack make you dieing? Does any successful attack push you into dieing; even if its just stun? That's what I can't seem to figure out.

jolt

Scholz
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Scholz » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:23 pm

Sorry, I forgot this is different than other D20 systems.
However you can still be both disabled and unconscious.
Say you fail a save versus a lethal damage by more than 10. You are disabled.
Then the next round you fail a save versus a stun attack by more than 10, you are unconscious.
So you are both.
If you use a hero point to move from unconscious to conscious, you are still disabled.

I would say an unconscious character disabled would remain unconscious. However they would begin to take lethal hits, which recover differently from stun hits. So there are other consequences.

As to moving to dying here is the info from the FAQ
What happens if a Disabled or Dying character takes addi-
tional damage?

Any attack that inflicts damage on a Disabled character shifts that charac-
ter’s condition to Dying. Any attack that inflicts damage on a Dying
character shifts the character’s condition to Dead. As per usual, attackers
can choose to inflict a lesser effect (such as unconsciousness) if they prefer.
Are you seriously telling me that "I see your forcefield protects you from that!" is the only thing you know how to say in English?
http://www.academyadventures.blogspot.com/