Giant Monsters

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Charliebrownlife
Bystander
Bystander

Giant Monsters

Post by Charliebrownlife » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:14 pm

Did a search, and I apologize if this has been asked before.

Giant monsters are totally screwed over! Unless I'm reading the size chart wrong, an Awesome size monster gets -16 to hit *and* to defense. Where's the benefit? I had my players fight against a giant animated statue of Joshua Chamberlain, and had to fudge in some extra powers so that he wasn't a total pushover.

Am I doing this wrong?

Elfy
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Elfy » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:24 pm

I would give area effect on their attacks for free against 'little people'.

solidcobra
Bystander
Bystander

Post by solidcobra » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:03 pm

>_> Oh, simple. treat size as a permanent growth power. Yeah, -16 to attack and defense..but also 20 ranks of protection, super-strength and immovability. Just let'im grab a huge frikkin rock and toss it. everyone in the area, make a ref save. failed? oohh...that's gonna leave a mark.

Charliebrownlife
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Charliebrownlife » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:07 pm

Hm...area attacks. I hadn't thought of that. I think that's a good balancing factor.

Vortex
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Vortex » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:07 pm

The official rules on size are: Growth/Shrinking [extra: Continuous, flaw: Permanent] with all the benefits and drawbacks.

Just think of the Godzilla movies. To hit Godzilla never was the problem. ;)

And don't forget the errata. Growth gets you speed +10 ft. and reach +5 ft. per size increase (not per rank!). Shrinking does -5 ft. speed per size category.

Charliebrownlife
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Charliebrownlife » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:26 pm

Ah, thanks. I was actually going to use that workaround, after I thought about it, but I never thought to check the errata and whatnot. Thanks!