kinetic energy+

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
wreckingball
Hireling
Hireling

kinetic energy+

Postby wreckingball » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:00 am

i understand that kinetic energy is the energy used when something moves does that mean if i prep my character to block or something i can litterally drain away or increase all kinetic energy froma target making punches and bullets stop or increasing to make the jumping target suddenly fly into space. or make my biplane go fast than the jet chasing me.

when you created kinetic energy what exactly did you have in mind and how is it to be used in this game because me and some friends have had some large discussions on this ability and i want to know how to limit it

until then no one can use the kinetic energy ability (group decided)

solidcobra
Bystander
Bystander

Postby solidcobra » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:17 pm

Just call it a sudden, telekenetic "punch" when you use kinetic energy blasts.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Re: kinetic energy+

Postby farik » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:20 pm

wreckingball wrote:i understand that kinetic energy is the energy used when something moves does that mean if i prep my character to block or something i can litterally drain away or increase all kinetic energy froma target making punches and bullets stop or increasing to make the jumping target suddenly fly into space. or make my biplane go fast than the jet chasing me.

when you created kinetic energy what exactly did you have in mind and how is it to be used in this game because me and some friends have had some large discussions on this ability and i want to know how to limit it

until then no one can use the kinetic energy ability (group decided)

COnsidering the state of matter in our universe kinetic control is for all intents and purposes what is commonly called telekinesis. So with your examples
Draing the energy of a punch or bullet would require purchasing deflection mechanically and conceptually would require the Kinetic Energy controller to stop the attack before it hit,
The jumping target still has to fight gravity which generates kinetic force but is a seperate form of energy
As far as increasing the speed of a vehicle this would be handled as a boost to movement powers.

In summary Kinetic Control isn't a disruptive power as long as you pay for all the effects you use.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Shadow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Shadow » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:32 pm

can't you just just buy the stunt of grain energy under the energy control (kinetic) and drain the energy out of the punch or bullet? :?

The General
Comrade
Comrade

Postby The General » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:07 pm

Shadow wrote:can't you just just buy the stunt of grain energy under the energy control (kinetic) and drain the energy out of the punch or bullet? :?

I could be wrong about this but I believe that stunt is supposed to be used for putting out "existing" energy,
like a house on fire or a radiation leak in a lab.

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:18 pm

technically yeah... thats the Neo/Magneto maneuver... though Mags used magnetism.

However, kinetic control that refined is rare... but doable.

Slowing bullets to stop in mid air could be a flawed force field effect... maybe Force Field (Extras: Area; Flaws: Concentration, Projectiles Only). Both Magneto and Neo clearly focus to stop the bullets and the end result is not really different then any other form of protection. If you want Magneto's level of control... you could add the reflect to the force field. You could also make a similiar deflection build.

Redirecting a foes kinetic energy to apply Super-Judo could be Absorbtion-Physical (Strike... or more appropriately an Element Control-Air like trip attack, if your going for the movie style look)

Provided they are paid for... and the GM doesn't find them too unbalancing (stopping projectiles in mid-air with concentration isn't really that cool in a true super-heroic world... nor is converting someone attack into a throw against them).

Of course the more outlandish you get the more likely a GM will say no.

I don't get the problem really... any power can stunt anything... that's the nature of Super-Powers. Wimp boy's power is only a joke until he finds and creative use for it. Look at Iceman... comic relief to demi-god and all it takes is imagination (within the scope and controlling factors of the GM of course).

Shadow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Shadow » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:47 pm

The General wrote:
I could be wrong about this but I believe that stunt is supposed to be used for putting out "existing" energy,

Kinetic energy is the energy of motion.......there is kinetic energy in propeling the pullets and kinetic energy in the motion of a punch, right? So draining the energy from them is possible? 8)

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:54 pm

theoretically yeah... but those would be the very definition of power stunts. An effect or usage of a power beyond its intended function or purpose.

I mean... technically drain electricity "could" shutdown the human nervous system. But that's not the standard use of the power and thus its a stunt (or if mastered... an extras).

Rivalsan
Hireling
Hireling

Theoretically

Postby Rivalsan » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:08 pm

If someone had the drain energy stunt on Energy Contro (Kinetic) I'd allow them to do things like, say.. Dr Nasty throws the plucky reporterette off of the bridge.. She's plummetting to her death.. You can siphon off kinetic energy to slow her fall, allowing her to survive it.

To have an actual COMBAT effect?
Extra: Force Field (Slows the attack as it comes in, making it less effective)
or
Extra: Deflection (Alters the kinetic flow of the attack to change the attack's vector)

All sorts of things..

And remember? If your player wants to do something as a one off power extra? Thats what hero points are for. So.. Maybe they're gonna sit there and clench up and put out a field that blocks incoming objects to stop that hail of bullets that the bad guys just fired at a group of Innocent Bystanders. Spend a Hero Point, there you go. Thats what they're there for!

Just remember - If you want to regularly have the effect- Pay for it. (Magneto's list of Extras on Magnetic Control would be as long as my arm.)
Hello, my name is Rivalsan, and I'm a MinMaxaholic. Twelve step programs don't work for us. We keep trying to find a way to do it in ten steps. Or less.. I bet I could squeeze it down to.. *sigh* (Crowd: Hi, Rivalsan)

The General
Comrade
Comrade

Postby The General » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:50 pm

Shadow wrote:The General wrote:

Kinetic energy is the energy of motion.......there is kinetic energy in propeling the pullets and kinetic energy in the motion of a punch, right? So draining the energy from them is possible? 8)

I understand what you mean and it makes sense.

The problem is that the rulebook doesn't go into explicit detail about draining energy from an incoming attack, it just mentions "energy source".

That's where I derived the meaning of put out or "snuffed out".

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:56 pm

I agree with that... using drain energy (kinetic) or otherwise to drain an incoming attack should be done as a stunt or extra of the drain ability (as either force field or deflection)... and additionally paid for.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”