Handling mimic at the start of a game

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
AtomicGorilla
Bystander
Bystander

Post by AtomicGorilla » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:26 pm

farik wrote:Actually this is exactly why I House ruled mimic to work like a pool of points even if a mimic does copy another player they aren't going to be as good since they had to spend points on the ability to mimic to establish the maximum rank they can mimim and then they take "Expanded" to increase the number of PP they can copy.
How exactly did you house rule it? I'm not a fan of mimic because for 3pp/level you can get all of the 2 point powers of one guy. So if that guy has energy blast and regen, you come out ahead. Slap on another 1pp/level, and you can have all of that guys feats as well, probably ending up ahead of the 10pp you spent on the extra. Same with skills, same with attributes.

A point cap seems like a good idea.

Mr. Self-Destruct
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post by Mr. Self-Destruct » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:34 pm

I wouldn't feel inclined to give him anything spectacular, or even a full suite of powers. One will do... not everyone has a full array of abilities like Super-Man. Some possible approaches:

The 'Sorry, kid, Mimic is your power and until you use it you've got nothing' approach:

1) "When you joined [the superteam], you were subjected to some rather intrusive scans to determine the full potential and nature of your powers. As such, during the process any mimicked powers you were holding prior to this first adventure were wiped."

2) "Under a strict "no powers" training session, you released any powers you may have mimicked prior to the start of play."

The Lotto:

Pick a number between one and... whatever... look at the list, give him that power. Or make up your own little chart of powers you'd be willing to let him have mimicked at the start, roll, and add flaws or extras to taste to make it interesting.

"Mort of the Month"

If you want to be a little cruel for no good reason and the player is supposed to be an established or experienced hero, ask him to describe the lamest villain he's ever had to fight. "Well guess what? You just fought that guy last week, and wound up mimicking his powers. Enjoy."

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Post by farik » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:08 pm

AtomicGorilla wrote:
farik wrote:Actually this is exactly why I House ruled mimic to work like a pool of points even if a mimic does copy another player they aren't going to be as good since they had to spend points on the ability to mimic to establish the maximum rank they can mimim and then they take "Expanded" to increase the number of PP they can copy.
How exactly did you house rule it? I'm not a fan of mimic because for 3pp/level you can get all of the 2 point powers of one guy. So if that guy has energy blast and regen, you come out ahead. Slap on another 1pp/level, and you can have all of that guys feats as well, probably ending up ahead of the 10pp you spent on the extra. Same with skills, same with attributes.

A point cap seems like a good idea.
Basically Mimic lets you mimic 2pp of an attribute (power, feat, or ability) per rank you take. You can increase the PP per rank by 1pp each time you apply the "expanded" extra. I then simply threw out the "all attribute extra." When mimicing another character you have to mimic all of the appropriate attributes.

So Mr Mimic buys mimic with expanded 4x at rank 10.

Mr Mimic tries to copy the PL 5 Capt. Mook. Capt Mook spent 80 PP on his duplication power. Mr Mimic has 60 pp to spend on copying so starting with Capt Mooks lowest ranks of power Mr. Mimic buys the power set 1 rank at a time until his 60pp are spent. Unlike Capt Mook Mr. Mimic may only have rank 4,3, or even 2 duplication (after paying for all of the extras and power stunts Capt. Mook has.

Does that help?
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Scholz
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Scholz » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:54 am

You could make an agreement that he can't mimic other players, and he can't start any adventure with any mimick'd powers. That way his schtick would be preserved, he would have to go up and tough someone, presumably a villian to get their powers. That is interesting, and fun.
If he insists on mimicking other players abilities, and they object, then I would rule him an uncooperative player and kick him out of the group. Simple enough, anyone who can't respect the wishes of other players should not play.
I would not allow a mimick'd character to keep powers for more than one adventure. If they want to keep them powers, let them spend power points on them.
Are you seriously telling me that "I see your forcefield protects you from that!" is the only thing you know how to say in English?
http://www.academyadventures.blogspot.com/

Dread Lord
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Dread Lord » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:29 pm

I've decided to do very much as farik has done with Mimic, also following a simular house rule for Transfer, Gadgets, and Varable Power.

I don't think it's ay kind of official rule, but in my game any power that is sustained is reset to "off" whenever the scene changes, unless there is a terrably obvious reason not to. (such as ending one scene and starting the next in flight) So once a mimic in my game left the city park where he was fighting Mega Dude and we picked up back at HQ his powers will have reset to zero. If he really wants to hunt down powersets in the city to use in a future battle, or whatever, have him make a concentration check to carry them over.
I sometimes wonder if I've ever made a smart decision.

AtomicGorilla
Bystander
Bystander

Post by AtomicGorilla » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:20 pm

As I said before, the mimic has his power as continuous so he can sleep in his mimic'd form.

The other players are not complaining about his power, it is the mimic player asking to be able to start with powers since he can mimic for years on end.

I think this is a reasonable request, but I don't have time to make up other heroes that the mimic might be copying. And also, I think a game with three only heroes two of which are the same is kind of boring.

I do not find the player disruptive. I would never kick a player out of a game for making a request.

It comes down to this: the mimic wants to start the comic with "Mimic-boy was copying the powers of Captain Flea, when suddenly..." instead of "Mimic-boy was inexplicably not copying anyone when suddenly..."

I find the request quite reasonable. I just don't have the time.

So the solution of having the mimic player make up the characters he might be mimicing works for me.

AtomicGorilla out.