Creating Evil Duplicates

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Jim Hague
Daredevil
Daredevil

Creating Evil Duplicates

Post by Jim Hague » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:53 pm

So, just speaking theoretically, since some of my players haunt this board...if, say, a certain shadowy Freedom City ex-Nazi villain developed the ability to create Eclipso-like duplicates from the void energy of the Terminus and the 'negative psychic energy' of characters who perform un-heroic acts, how would you design such a power? I'm thinking Duplication (Affects Others, Flaw: Only Affects Others), but I'm not in rules mode at the moment.

Anthony
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Anthony » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:10 pm

I'd use the Summon Minion power from super-vision #8. Probably:

Summon Minion
Extras: Ranged, Type
Flaws: Must Duplicate Person, Resisted by Will (assuming it is).

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Re: Creating Evil Duplicates

Post by farik » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:51 pm

Jim Hague wrote:So, just speaking theoretically, since some of my players haunt this board...if, say, a certain shadowy Freedom City ex-Nazi villain developed the ability to create Eclipso-like duplicates from the void energy of the Terminus and the 'negative psychic energy' of characters who perform un-heroic acts, how would you design such a power? I'm thinking Duplication (Affects Others, Flaw: Only Affects Others), but I'm not in rules mode at the moment.
This was the old solution that came up most often on the boards with a resulting debate about whether the duplicator would need a mind control extra or if the duplicates would be sympathetic to him by default.

But with the summon minion power I'd agree it might be the better way to go.

The difference will be the summon minion power needs to be powerful enough to pay to simulate the heroes in question (not a problem if they are the only duplicates available).

The Duplication power on the other hand could duplicate anyone their maximum bonuses would just be limited to the ranks in duplication.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

The Trapster
Luminary
Luminary

Post by The Trapster » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:57 am

Jim Hague wrote:So, just speaking theoretically, since some of my players haunt this board...if, say, a certain shadowy Freedom City ex-Nazi villain developed the ability to create Eclipso-like duplicates from the void energy of the Terminus and the 'negative psychic energy' of characters ...
Why isn't this just a plot devise for your story. You should pay for duplication if you must, but the villain is just getting this ability to create subordinate Supervillains. He's a one man team. I don't see why you would want to make it hard on the GM (yourself).

:!: Just tell a fun story!
A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Post by farik » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:41 am

The Trapster wrote:
Jim Hague wrote:So, just speaking theoretically, since some of my players haunt this board...if, say, a certain shadowy Freedom City ex-Nazi villain developed the ability to create Eclipso-like duplicates from the void energy of the Terminus and the 'negative psychic energy' of characters ...
Why isn't this just a plot devise for your story. You should pay for duplication if you must, but the villain is just getting this ability to create subordinate Supervillains. He's a one man team. I don't see why you would want to make it hard on the GM (yourself).

Theoretically one of the PCs might have mimic or drain at their disposal in which case it is handy to have a point value for the NPC power's cost.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Jim Hague
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by Jim Hague » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:45 pm

Heh. Yeah, since one of the PCs (the one that's going to be duplicated, in fact) has Mimic and Drain, that point cost'd be hand.

Summon Minions it is, then. Hah.

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by the_masochist » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:12 pm

the thing to remember about this game is the sheer versatility of the powers due to extras and flaws. Duplications, extras:rangeX2 (normal)/flaws(others only)

since the duplicates are under your control, they make effective evil duplicates.

The Trapster
Luminary
Luminary

Post by The Trapster » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:41 pm

farik wrote:
The Trapster wrote:Why isn't this just a plot devise for your story. You should pay for duplication if you must, but the villain is just getting this ability to create subordinate Supervillains. He's a one man team. I don't see why you would want to make it hard on the GM (yourself).

Theoretically one of the PCs might have mimic or drain at their disposal in which case it is handy to have a point value for the NPC power's cost.
Because if it is the Plot of the adventure that the PCs will face Evil Duplicates of themselves, then drain had better not be a factor. :)
A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.