Blaster vs. Tankers (2E)

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Telik
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Telik » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:02 pm

OOH! Check out Supervision! Thanks Steve for shedding some light on how to balance the powerful blaster with the rest of the damage dealers.
Actually I used to be a professional...

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Paragon » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:27 pm

Telik wrote: You guys are quoting the high-end of the spectrum with super heroes though. Superman and Colossus are fine but what about real world experiences. A professional boxer packs one heck of a punch, but military firepower is a lot more dangerous. Lol, I watched Blackhawk Down last night. That movie had more bullets fired then anything I've ever seen.
Anytime you compare real world biological power to real world chemical power, the latter is going to win. That doesn't have much bearing on the typical superhero realities, though, or the powersuit guys would always be top dogs.

opinion that ranged attacks could use a little help. You mention that the scapper/tanker character has to get up in your face to do damage, but that is never a problem in a game with such amazing movement speeds (types). Either that or the big guy is throwing buses, buildings, etc.
As long as range outranges per-round movement, it can be. In addition, ranged attackers can get much more use out of Rapid Shot than meleeists can from Rapid Strike, just because the former only rarely need to move while the latter need to do it a lot (of course we don't know if either of those feats exist in 2e).

currently playing one of those scary scappers. Last week the GM was like how am I supposed to hit a 32 Defense? Didn't prove to much of a problem, he caught me flatfooted for an instant KO.
I was going to say, let's see, Area Effects, mental attacks, Startle...
And we by this sole token;
Know we once were gods;
Take shame in being broken;
No matter how great the odds.

Powerline
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by Powerline » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:53 am

Maximum attack for a puncher at PL 10 would be 15S Punch and this would cost 50PP (A third of his total points)

The maximum attack for the blaster would be 10S and would cost only 20PP

With the extra 30PP you would be able to stunt alot of fun attack forms onto the Energy blast, like for instance - Corrosion, Dazzle, Disintegration, Fatigue, Paralysis, Snare and Stun. This Energy blast would still cost less then the puncher (34PP).

In essence you are trading attack power for flexibility. I would rather be flexible. :D

However

The puncher could Flaw the super strength (no skills, no feats) and Extra the range up to normal and the power would still cost 4PP and have a 15S ranged punch and still lift a few tons :shock:

Patriarch
Compatriot
Compatriot

Post by Patriarch » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:10 am

Powerline wrote:Maximum attack for a puncher at PL 10 would be 15S Punch and this would cost 50PP (A third of his total points)
Ever hear of Strike?
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comassion
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by Comassion » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:53 am

If you really want ranged damage potential in 1e, just get a mighty ranged weapon like a composite bow (ranged attack that allows you to add your str bonus). Alternatively, make a 'chi' strike - add the ranged extra to strike.

Telik
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Telik » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:10 pm

Well it looks like 2e has removed the gap, and I'm happy. We had a blaster character named Jolt in our first M&M campaign that was permanently stuck in Power attack mode to justify a concept of high damage/ low accuracy. He could do just as much dmg as a typical scapper and seems to work almost identical to the power shifts concept in 2e.

For myself I think I'm gonna push my forcefield power up pretty high, because when running my TK in the first team, I was all about the dmg save. I couldn't create as much dmg as the rest of the team, but forcefield defenders should never solo. I'm even gonna look into taking the affects others type extra that was in 2e so I can duplicate my character in CoH and place bubbles on team-mates.

BTW just for history Telik was an old MSH character I borrowed from a campaign my brother ran in college and added to the superteam when we started playing M&M like the day it came out. I've also recently started him on the Liberty server in CoH, and I plan to return to him when 2e comes out.
Actually I used to be a professional...