God's given Powers

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Ultra Violet
Bystander
Bystander

God's given Powers

Post by Ultra Violet » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:26 am

How I can simulate that a Power or Powers were given as a Gift from a God. And this God give the PC more Powers when the time is coming, but the PC have to become a high Priest or someone who believes in this God and has to challanges the requirements and rules of the Religion, if PC ignores this requirements, he/she will loses his/her Powers.

How I converting this in M&M rules? Flaws, Limits, Extras...

And have you some examples or ideas for cool God given Powers?

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Re: God's given Powers

Post by farik » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:10 am

Ultra Violet wrote:How I can simulate that a Power or Powers were given as a Gift from a God. And this God give the PC more Powers when the time is coming, but the PC have to become a high Priest or someone who believes in this God and has to challanges the requirements and rules of the Religion, if PC ignores this requirements, he/she will loses his/her Powers.

Our group just created a new power source "divine" the power source is rarer than mystical so it's more "secure" from drains and neutralize (which I require be limited to a single source in my games) but if you don't follow the "rules" you lose your powers.

As far as powers any powers would be okay it's just a matter of finding the right "Divine Being" to explain it.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

solidcobra
Bystander
Bystander

Post by solidcobra » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:33 am

Energy source: Mystical.
Really, gods giving powers shouldn't have any special strengths compared to other things. Game made for balance, remember?

Anthony
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Anthony » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:51 am

Ultra Violet wrote: How I converting this in M&M rules? Flaws, Limits, Extras...
Give him a Weakness (loses powers if doesn't follow Divine Rules).

The Trapster
Luminary
Luminary

Post by The Trapster » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:56 pm

Ultra Violet wrote:How I can simulate that a Power or Powers were given as a Gift from a God. And this God give the PC more Powers when the time is coming, but the PC have to become a high Priest or someone who believes in this God and has to challanges the requirements and rules of the Religion, if PC ignores this requirements, he/she will loses his/her Powers.
Make a list of Rules and have the Players keep them at hand. Are you sure this would be fun? It might not be cool to have "GOD" looking over your shoulder all the time, second guessing all the time, and slapping you down once in a while.
Heroism comes from within. ( :wink: )
Flaw: powers can't hurt the pure, can't help the wicked, and is 50/50 against people in the grey areas.
Weakness: Vulnerable to GOD punishment.
Besides Wings and Flaming Swords? Parting red seas? Ten plauges of Egypt? Resurection? Feeding the multitudes? ... .
:lol: Nope can't think of a thing. :lol:

Just curious:
:?: Are you planning for the game to BE RELIGIOUS or is it just a superhero game where God is pointing the way? God is playing Xavier for the X-men? (This question should be saved for a post in the "Settings" section. :wink:
A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

Ultra Violet
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Ultra Violet » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:59 pm

I thought about some religious Guy... that get or become a Super by will of God or the Gods of his believe.

The Trapster
Luminary
Luminary

Post by The Trapster » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:27 pm

Ultra Violet wrote:I thought about some religious Guy... that get or become a Super by will of God or the Gods of his believe.
Oh! I thought this was an idea for a team. :roll: Sorry. read to much into your post. :wink:
One character in a group that is power by the God(s).
Marvel Comics' Thor was like that especially in the early stories. He sometimes went against Odin's wished and had some or all of his powers taken away.
But, it would be best for the Player and Gamemaster to agree what the God(s) want the Player Character(PC) to accomplish with the powers. Then just play and if the PC does something against the wishes of the God(s) then he loses a rank or two of his powers... until he atones. Unsually a quest of trial that should teach him something about WHY the God(s) are displeased.

The Trapster
Luminary
Luminary

Post by The Trapster » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:32 pm

Improtant to know something about the God/Gods that you work with. Working for the Christian GOD is a lotdifferent than working for Zues or Thor. 8)

chatty
Zealot
Zealot

Post by chatty » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:16 pm

The Trapster wrote:Improtant to know something about the God/Gods that you work with. Working for the Christian GOD is a lotdifferent than working for Zues or Thor. 8)
For example, if I am reading my New Testament correctly, the Christian God will pay people who toil for a full day in his vineyard the same amount of money as people who only work for an hour or two! THAT is a generous boss. Zeus would, like, zot the people who worked less. Or turn them into something. Or maybe visit their wives in the form of an animal. Or something.

Anyway, it would be different. That's my point.
"Persistence is often met with vengeance!"

Truxton Spangler (Rubicon Season 1, Episode 9)

solidcobra
Bystander
Bystander

Post by solidcobra » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:24 am

Funny. >_> If i'm reading my new (and old) testament correctly, god is more like a parent who goes "you can either sit here and fear me for all of your life, or you could go outdoors and play", but neglects to tell you about the landmine he planted just outside the front door earlier.

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Setothes » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:03 am

One thing that many religions have in common is a concept of rewards and punishments, of faith empowering a man, or of divine displeasure bringing his best efforts low regardless of his precautions.

I think the ideal mechanism was mentioned upthread. Lots of Luck, with the Fortune and Jinx Extras, and the Bestow Luck and Counter Luck Feats. Pick up Heroes Luck x5 (Flaw: Affects Others only) for another 5 cp, Indominitable Will, Inspire, Detect (lies), any other appropriate Feats, and you've got a decent Faith based hero.

Avoid trying to Flaw the Luck to only work in situations that the God would approve of, as this will lead to inevitable theological discussions about the divinities often contradictory attitudes and behaviors in lore and scripture. Odin, Zeus, whomever, all had tales where they punished man capriciously, and all had tales where they were touted as fathers of civilization, scribers of language, etc, etc. Best to leave the divinity as an origin source, and not an active part of the campaign, IMO.

Dragonspar
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by Dragonspar » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:43 am

I don't know, it seems to me that a god would have a purpose for empowering a human, and would get upset if the person did not follow the plan.
for example, take Joan of Arc, a real life person who supposedly gained knowledge of tactics and a comanding presence and charisma from above, as well as being supernaturaly granted information about a person or two that she should not have known. All so that she could lead armies into battle for a specific goal.

I would think that if she truly was power by a divine being, some of those powers might have been pulled if she used these abilities to become a rich blackmailing bussiness owner who did not care about fighting in a war.

just my two cents.
THE TURTLE MOVES!

HG
Luminary
Luminary

Post by HG » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:47 pm

I say don't confuse it by creating a Divine source. Just keep mystical. I always thought AD&D with its artificial magic, cleric magic, and psionics was not something I truly wanted.

Ofcourse for someone who thought otherwise and wanted that source in their games that is perfectly fine. I don't think I'd want it in the book itself as I know I would not use it. For me Psionic or Mystical are fine.

Mephito, Zeus and God can all use, and their minions, angels, servants of the lord can all use some source already in the book.

Mr. Self-Destruct
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post by Mr. Self-Destruct » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:31 pm

The power sources that I would typically use were:

Mutant
Super-Science/Technology
Training/Natural
Mystical
Divine (Both mythic and religious)
Alien/Alien Physiology

I would fold altered humans into mutant because while they aren't mutations at birth they have become altered later in life and become mutations of the human form.

The source part of your question is easy. As for the increasing power... I'd use a boost, flawed to uncontrolled, increasing only at the discretion of the divine power source or the character's level of faith (for example) and extra'd to have greater duration.

To determine how much or how little power this "God" person ( :wink: ) would provide, I would create a 'hierarchy of sins' and exalted deeds sort of like the White Wolf hierarchies for paths of enlightenment. Where the character falls on that scale, plus hidden situational modifiers, would detemine how much of the boost the character gets, up to his power rank. For someone like the Christian God, such a hierarchy should be easy. After all, didn't he have some Moses fellow take dictation on some basic rules everyone should follow? Add in some post-Christ edicts like helping the poor or charity, or turning the other cheek/ an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind/ "Vengeance is mine, sayeth the lord" (no acts of vengeance), and I think you've got a good guideline for how much power the deity would provide... add one for each significant act that goes toward part of that ethos, and subtract one for each act that violates it, up to power rank limit. I'd keep the specifics hidden from the player... this God guy seems to be really into testing people and not telling them exactly what he expects of them... and throw a few curve balls in there. Plus, the modern day "faithful" seem to forget a lot of major points of their religions in how they treat others or make decisions day-to-day. Add in lots and lots of situations that tempt the player one way or another without being too obvious or heavy-handed. Actually, you're playing God as an NPC... be heavy-handed, just don't always be obvious.

Don't tell the player ("you gained/lost a point of boost") when he does something right or wrong... wait until he goes to use the power(s) to discover it's stronger or weaker... then you get those fun "Why have you forsaken me?" moments. Hey, if you're going to play "God" then you might as well enjoy yourself.

You might also make situational modifiers, such as fighting an enemy of the divine... the character might have a higher boost while fighting demons than bank robbers. Come to think of it, depending on the deity, he might not even care about bank robbers, or might frown upon beating them senseless... granted, "thou shalt not steal" but it seems some of these Gods don't like the moneylenders all that much either, and might just equate them with the crooks. See what I mean about curve balls? :)

Nightlynx
Compatriot
Compatriot

Post by Nightlynx » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:56 pm

Mr. Self-Destruct wrote:The power sources that I would typically use were:

Mutant
Super-Science/Technology
Training/Natural
Mystical
Divine (Both mythic and religious)
Alien/Alien Physiology
This is a nice list to work with - Thanks for sharing - It will add alot to the game I have planned...
I would fold altered humans into mutant because while they aren't mutations at birth they have become altered later in life and become mutations of the human form.

{snip}
I have also used the "Altered Human" called Mutate but I just use the spelling - it would read like this on your list Mutant/Mutate.

All in all I think the divine source can work very well if its the kind of "spice" a GM feels his game "dish" is missing. I have mostly shyed away from the whole god issue in my games. But I have to admit I do like the idea of Divine source and feel liek it could be handled with ease in my games as an added effect.

cheers
Nightlynx

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. - First Law of Equivalent Exchange.