made up powers... yours, mine, everybody's...

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
BARON
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

made up powers... yours, mine, everybody's...

Post by BARON » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:52 pm

I'm brewing these up in my create a ________ thread but since that build is more ABOUT builds and less about rules and powers I figured this would be a better place to get a discussion going about the abilities we all think up. If you have some ideas or some comments or some questions about new powers... this threads for you!
NINJITSU
Cost:
Action: Half
Range: Personal
Duration: Permanent

You are a shadow warrior. Through devotion to the ancient arts of shinobi you have manifested great power and resourcefullness. Pick one skill from the following to represent your focus: Acrobatics, Balance, Bluff, Disguise, Escape Artist, Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, Perform, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, or Survival. You gain a bonus equal to your ranks in Ninjitsu in this skill. For the cost of one extra per skill, you may adopt additional disciplines. You may also spend a hero point and for the round gain a bonus to a discipline you are trained in equal to double your ranks in ninjitsu. Powerful ninjas achieve tremendous mastery over thier environment; employing equal parts deception, theatricality, and combat training.

EXTRAS:
Weapon Master:
You may purchase the Weapon Master ability at 4pp per rank. The swashbuckler stunt is also available for purchase. For 3pp you can opt instead to gain mastery of only one weapon.
Marksman: You may purchase the Marksman ability at 4pp per rank. The trickshooting stunt is also available for purchase.
notes:

:arrow: Based this off the way ninjas work in Batman Begins if you must know. I'm very fond of how this power works and I've used it on a build for batman already to great success.
CRIMINAL GENIUS
Cost:
Action: half

You are a criminal mastermind. Your aptitude for nefarity is uncanny. Pick one skill from the following to represent your focus: Bluff, Demolitions, Escape Artist, Forgery, Intimidate, Open Lock, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, or Taunt. You gain a bonus equal to your ranks in Criminal Genius in this skill. For the cost of one extra per skill, you may adopt additional rackets. You may also spend a villain point and for the round gain a bonus to a discipline you are trained in equal to double your ranks. Low level criminal geniuses achieve success as petty mobsters while those with high level in this ability can outwit the police routinely or come up with plans as far reaching as world domination.

STUNTS
Cackle:
you possess a signature laugh that strikes the heart with dread. When you spend a villain point you automatically succeed at a Taunt check.
Infamy: You may purchase the infamy feat as a stunt for this power.
Lair: You may add your ranks in Criminal Genius to your Head Quarters if you already possess that feat.

EXTRAS:
Death Traps:
When a criminal genius with this extra knocks an opponent out, they may then spend a villain point to cancel out an attempt by the hero to shake off thier condition by quickly placing them in an elaborate death trap. Death traps may feature several effects. Use half your ranks in this extra to determine the maximum number of how many effects a deathtrap may possess. Every effect requires a different skill when trying to survive the ordeal (DC=10+ranks in this extra-1 per effect). A character has a number of rounds equal to the number of effects in a deathtrap to get themselves free. Failure to escape/answer/whatever in the alloted time means death. Whether you actually build these traps or just provide the ideas is irrelevant. Effects can require any skill imaginable to defeat them. Sense Motive, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Open Lock, Science, Knowledge, and Computers are common skills necessary to overcome. All skills are allowed untrained and those caught in a deathtrap can overcome any effect automatically with a hero point
Mastermind: Add your ranks in this extra to your loyalty score.
Super Intelligence: You may purchase super intelligence as an extra to Criminal Genius. Futhermore you may purchase any extras or stunts of super intelligence as extras or stunts for criminal genius.

notes:

:arrow: Slight revision of the criminal genius power I whipped up. I love the idea of giving mastermind characters something to do besides have high computer skills and sciences. You need the Luthors and Riddlers of comicdom to have some sort of power or they aren't dangerous.

MORE TO COME.

BARON
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by BARON » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:00 pm

BUMP! come on people!

Grim Luck
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Grim Luck » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:15 pm

Super Defense
Cost 3
Action: None

You have an uncanny ability to avoid being hit in combat. Perhaps your character is able to avoid attacks using a type of precognition, or perhaps attackers find themselves strangely unlucky, or maybe an odd energy field distorts dimensional space around you creating an effect similar to, but not exactly like, deflection. A character with this power adds their rank in this power to his defense rating. This bonus is not lost if the character is flat footed.

Super Offense
Cost 3
Action: None

You have an enhanced ability to connect in one particular type of combat. Perhaps energy blasts are guided to your opponent, or your fists seem to seek out an enemy, or maybe you're just supernaturally accurate. A character with this power adds their rank in this power to one of her attack ratings (Melee, Ranged, or Mental).

Extras: All Offense
Flaws: One specific type of attack (Energy Blast, Specific Weapon, etc.)
Last edited by Grim Luck on Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the world is fascinated with monkeys.

Grim Luck
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Grim Luck » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:34 pm

Entangle
Cost 2
Range: Normal
Duration: Sustained
Save: None

A character with this power has the ability to attack a target at range with a grappling attack. The attacker using this power makes a standard attack roll. If the attack roll is successful automatically make a grapple check using the entangle power level versus the target's strength. If the attacker wins, then the target is pinned by the entanglement. A pinned character suffers all the normal penalties (See pin: M&M Core page 141) but may attempt to free themselves once each round by making a contested grapple check per a normal grapple, or they may attempt to damage the entangling effect. An entangling effect saves versus damage as an object with a hardness equal to the entangle's power level. Note: at the storyteller's discretion, flying characters who have been grappled may still be free to fly normally and are not considered to be pinned, though storytellers are free to impose appropriate penalties on actions taken by an entangled character.

Extra: Damaging (Your entangling attack deals power rank crushing damage each round following a successful entanglement.), Anchor (Flying targets affected by your entanglement have their flight rating reduced by your power rank), Line (A line of energy or matter connects you and your target allowing you to pull them to you or tie them to some sturdy structure)

Grim Luck
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Grim Luck » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:12 pm

Inhabit
Cost: 1
Range: Touch
Duration: Sustained
Save: Will

A character with this power has the ability to effectively become incorporeal and inhabit the body of another character or NPC they are touching. While inhabiting the body of a host the character with this power shares in all sensory information available to the host, but is imited by the host's perceptions (i.e. the character may use the hosts perception skills or their own, whichever is less). Unless the character has mind control, the character cannot control the actions of the host. While inside the host the character's physical powers with which they could affect the world usually do not function (unless they have the ghost touch extra), though the character is immune to all damage as though they were incorporeal (save those attacks with the ghost-touch extra). Leaving a host also requires a half-action. If a host is knocked unconscious or killed the character is immediately forcefully ejected (taking a full round action). Likewise, if a host becomes aware that they are inhabited they may attempt to force the character out by making repeated will checks against the character until the character is expelled.

Extra: Forget Me (If the character successfully inhabits a target, the target instantly forgets the past few seconds - especially the part about being inhabited), Link (While inhabiting the host the character may communicate with the host telepathically), Share Power (While inhabiting a host the host has access to one of the character's powers. The character may determine whether or not to share any power, and which power they wish to share or may change which power is shared as a free action. The Inhabit power cannot be shared.) Parasite (While inside the host, the host must repeatedly make a will save against the character's power rank once every hour. If the host fails they lose one point of constitution while the character gains regeneration at their inhabit power rank for the next hour)

BARON
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by BARON » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:37 pm

ooh... super defense would be a good extra for precognition.

Grim Luck
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Grim Luck » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:39 pm

That's the only one I've actually used. Of course, you can use it as a flawed down version of Super Dexterity with an extra of Combat Sense for the same effect and the same cost, so its 'Street Legal'.

Grim Luck
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Grim Luck » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:41 pm

I also had an extra for leaping, which I'll add here. I posted it once before, but I feel it bears repeating.

Ghost Leap - Your character is able to slow their fall or is otherwise able to fall from any distance without fear of damage as long as they land on their feet. Likewise your character is able to reduce their effective weight to 'that of a feather' allowing them to walk along surfaces which would not normally support their weight. Finally under the right conditions game masters may allow a character with this extra to add their leaping rank to move silent checks.

I really like this extra. I tend to add it to many of my ninja-like villains who have leaping.

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by the_masochist » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:23 pm

Fusion
cost:5
action: full round
range:touch
duration: sustained(special- see below)

you and a fellow player have the ability to fuse together into one more powerful character. You and your friend must have the same number of ranks in the fusion power. This power last one round per rank in fusion, and afterwards both characters are considered fatigued (you may spend a hero point normally to negate this effect). you cannot fuse again for a number of rounds equal to your ranks in fusion.
You and your fusion partner both use the LOWER bonus or ranks of the two fused characters, however, they get a bonus equal to your rank in fusion rank.
They gain benefits of each others feats (owning the same feats don't stack) and even turns. considering that the body is composed of two seperate thinking minds, they players are each allowed to take thier own turn actions. you lose your ranks in fusion while fused, and can't fuse with minions (or duplicates)

for example
Hawk has a str of 19(+4 str bonus), 4 ranks of weapon, and 5 ranks of fusion.
Dove has a str of 14(+2 str bonus), 1 rank of weapon, 3 ranks of healing, and 5 ranks of fusion.
when they fuse together, their str bonus is +7 (2 because of Doves str bonus, and 5 because of their ranks in fusion), their ranks in weapon is 6 (1 for dove again and 5 for fusion), 5 ranks in healing, (hawks 0 ranks in healing and 5 ranks in fusion)

Power stunts:
Fusion Prowess: you may rearrange your powerpoints spent in fusion anyway you choose, even to put ranks in fusion again. this is decided with only one other person. anyother people require their own seperate powerstunt.
Fusion Duration: the fusion has concentration duration. this duration cannot be further improved.

Extras
Absorbtion: for three extras, you can fuse with other people with out the power rank, but only the person with the fusion power controls the character and doesn't get to share the body for multiple turns. for an additional extra, you may fuse with the body permenently.
Extrodinary power: you apply this power to other powers you have instead of fusion. you use that power rank when you fuse, instead of the lowest power rank.
Concert fusion: you may fuse with one extra person each time this extra is taken. fusion amongst multiple people regards the second lowest as the lowest. this is typically used in absorbtion. Again, you do not gain additional turns if you take this extra.

Flaws
Performance Art:the power requires you to perform in someway, this may be an ancient ritual, or even a dance successfully to fuse correctly. this is typically a perform (or knowledge) check of 15 +the ranks in fusion. A failed attempt must be waited out, and the characters subtract thier rank in fusion instead of adding. It still effects the lowest bonus or rank.
Helpless: after the fusion, you and your partner may be completely helpless instead of simply tired. If you fail a will save (15+ your rank in fusion) you are considered helpless, otherwise you are simply fatigued without the chance to spend a hero point.

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by the_masochist » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:26 pm

please submit your views on this idea, I really am curious to see if anyone thinks this is too powerful, or sees a real problem I may have overlooked. be as ruthless as you wish, but please be constuctive.