Digital Drawing Tablet Question...

We have a lot of talented artists who frequent these forums. This is the place for them to show off their stuff.
American_Patriot
Zealot
Zealot

Digital Drawing Tablet Question...

Postby American_Patriot » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:47 pm

Hello everyone,

After HeroCon 2013 where i got to meet with a group of really talented artists using a series of drawing tablets, I've been looking at getting the Wacom Cintiq 13HD Interactive Pen Display (DTK1300) for myself since it allows you to draw on the screen as if you're drawing on traditional methods.... mainly since i'm not as gifted as my youngest sister (who just turned 30 this year, and whom I got a Wacom CTL471 Bamboo Splash Pen Tablet that she's using extremely well) whom is able to use the kind that you don't have to be looking at the area where the stylus tip is at while watching on the computer monitor.

Which brings me to my question... is there a better drawing tablet out there than the Wacom Cintiq 13HD that's both cheaper and doesn't have a nearly five month waiting list?

I've seen some of the comments on the Wacom Cintiq 12WX 12-Inch Pen Display... and wanted to find out if a refurbished one at half the price of the 13HD would be a good buy.
American Patriot (MSG Nathaniel Hale Spaight, US Army - Ret.), American Meta-Human Super-Soldier (PL10/150pp.)
"Sometimes... success is measured just one little victory at a time."

etrigan
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Digital Drawing Tablet Question...

Postby etrigan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:28 pm

I,
As a amateur artist, I've drew mostly exclusively in digital format for the past 2 years with my Wacom Intuos 3.
Two months ago, I've considered upgrading and buying a Cintiq 13HD.. until I saw this review:

http://frenden.com/post/38693256477/yiynovamsp19u

I've bought my Yiynova MSP19U on amazon.ca and so far I don't regret my purchase.
I cannot compare it to a Cintiq since I've never use one before, but 19 inches instead of 13 give you a lot more drawing surface for a better price. The screen is robust, the color a little bit to bright, and the pen is a little cheaper looking than the one I used with my Wacom but the sensibility is the same and drawing directly on the screen is a lot more intuitive and easier for me than on a Intuos.
You will need to get use to the parallax effect cause by the thickness of the screen, but it's the same thing with a Cintiq as I understand it.

Hope it give you more purchase option... :-)

American_Patriot
Zealot
Zealot

Postby American_Patriot » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:50 pm

thank you so much Etrigan! Any options that can be brought to the table so my sister and I can try and figure out what would be best for getting our art studio set up over the next year. we're hoping to get things set up so that at Hero Con 2014 we can start giving out cards with our contact info to our friends in the comic industry so that they will know we're finally getting serious after the past four years of their nagging to get off our butts and do it already! :)

Any and all suggestions are going to be on the table (in fact I'll be printing out this thread if I can get alot of feedback on the pros and cons of the various types of drawing tablets)...

and since, well.. this is the first place i'm sharing this with. So here it goes.

We're going to be renting a house that is between my mom and sister's houses... it's a house i've wanted to buy since i was 16 (nearly 30 years ago.. damn I'm getting old), and the owners of the house have promised that when it comes time to sell it, I'm the first on their list to contact.

And the house is big enough for the space to set up a dedicated art studio... and it really feels as if this is the right thing to do. So I'm asking everyone here for advice on what drawing tablets are good and worth my money.

And hopefully get some advice on what kinds of things to get for the studio as well. :)

etrigan wrote:I,
As a amateur artist, I've drew mostly exclusively in digital format for the past 2 years with my Wacom Intuos 3.
Two months ago, I've considered upgrading and buying a Cintiq 13HD.. until I saw this review:

http://frenden.com/post/38693256477/yiynovamsp19u

I've bought my Yiynova MSP19U on amazon.ca and so far I don't regret my purchase.
I cannot compare it to a Cintiq since I've never use one before, but 19 inches instead of 13 give you a lot more drawing surface for a better price. The screen is robust, the color a little bit to bright, and the pen is a little cheaper looking than the one I used with my Wacom but the sensibility is the same and drawing directly on the screen is a lot more intuitive and easier for me than on a Intuos.
You will need to get use to the parallax effect cause by the thickness of the screen, but it's the same thing with a Cintiq as I understand it.

Hope it give you more purchase option... :-)
American Patriot (MSG Nathaniel Hale Spaight, US Army - Ret.), American Meta-Human Super-Soldier (PL10/150pp.)

Sketchpad
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Sketchpad » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:22 am

I actually use a Wacom Cintiq 12WX 12-Inch in my work and love it. I'm currently using it mainly with Photoshop and Manga Studio, but have little problem with it and, because of its smaller size, I've been able to use it anywhere in the house (though mainly used in my studio).

American_Patriot
Zealot
Zealot

Postby American_Patriot » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:05 pm

Sketchpad wrote:I actually use a Wacom Cintiq 12WX 12-Inch in my work and love it. I'm currently using it mainly with Photoshop and Manga Studio, but have little problem with it and, because of its smaller size, I've been able to use it anywhere in the house (though mainly used in my studio).

I had been looking at getting that one when I was thnking of getting.. they had a factory refurbished one that was half the price. if it's a good deal I'd be more than willing to get it. but all the reviews i had read said that if the line gets close to the edge it gets a little iffy.

Return to “Drawing Board”