Monthly drawing Jam???

We have a lot of talented artists who frequent these forums. This is the place for them to show off their stuff.
DrZero
Sidekick
Sidekick

Monthly drawing Jam???

Postby DrZero » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:28 am

Hi folks,
There are alot of great artists on the boards and I was wondering what you guys think about having a monthly drawing thread.
Plenty of other artist boards have such a thing, so I'm thinking that each month we think of a Superhero (could be an existing Comic book character or RPG Character) and anyone who wants to join in just draws their own version of the Character and posts it on the thread.
Any medium..... pencil sketch, traditional media, inked or digital.
I'm not thinking about a contest here for the best image, rather a good excuse to practice ones skills and at the same time having to meet the monthly deadline, it would also be great fun and a chance for all the budding artists to get together on the same thread to discuss techniques.
Anyway, let me know what you guys think.....
Doc

etrigan
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Monthly drawing Jam???

Postby etrigan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:21 am

Great idea Jon!

You can count me in. A monthly deadline will help me getting out of my long lethargy... :-)
I've been drawing a lot for the last few months but I never finished anything... This thread could be just what it take to bring me back into the saddle...

Do you have any idea how to choose the monthly Superhero to draw?
Can I suggest to ask Libra to start this monthly jam with a character? He got more posts than anyone around here and is usually pretty specifics about what he want...
And if I can suggest further: The character don't need to be an existing character... from time to time it could be fun to draw original character base on a simple concept/description ...

RomLoneWolf23
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby RomLoneWolf23 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:43 am

I'm in too.
-Exit the LoneWolf

ultaraguyver
Hireling
Hireling

Postby ultaraguyver » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:47 am

This maybe just what I need to get my skills back, I'm in.

DrZero
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby DrZero » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:04 am

Thanks for the replies chaps, So far that makes four!
I'm sure more of our resident artists will come on board over the next few days (i'll probably PM a few of them)

Liking the ideas Etrigan, holding the occasional Character design challenge sounds like fun and i'm sure good old Libra will have some suggestions.

I'm thinking about starting the October challenge this Friday (25th) with a deadline for submissions being the last day of each month. I'll probably start a new thread each month with the challenge details and rules in which peeps can post their finished artwork. I don't want to make the guidelines to strict, after all this is meant to be a bit of fun. But I reckon that you have to submit at least an upper body shot of the Character (not just headshot/portraits)

Time to sharpen the old pencils and dust off the trusty wacom!!!

ReeboKesh
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ReeboKesh » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:30 am

Yeah count me in Dr Zero, it's been too lomg. I'll try and drag my buddy Shinobi into it too.
Reebo

DrZero
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby DrZero » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:26 am

ReeboKesh wrote:Yeah count me in Dr Zero, it's been too lomg. I'll try and drag my buddy Shinobi into it too.
Reebo

Great stuff Reebo, good to have you aboard, I've already had a chat with Shin who said he maybe able to join in but his workloads pretty big at the moment..... I'm sure you can twist his arm!!!

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:47 am

Can I suggest to ask Libra to start this monthly jam with a character? He got more posts than anyone around here and is usually pretty specifics about what he want...

I'm sure good old Libra will have some suggestions.

YOU RaaaNG? 8)

I must say that I'm more than willing - and in fact downright eager - to see this excellent idea come to fruition; The idea that I can actually be helpful is just gravy!

So who do I have to maim - ahem, I mean who would I have to speak to about participating? I confess that I have zero artistic skill regarding actual draftmanship but I have plenty of ideas that I'd love to see illustrated. . . Just read through the Settings, Roll Call and Story Hour forum and you will too! :wink:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Foomy
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Foomy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi everyone. I've never actually posted any of my artwork on here, but I'm willing to take stabs at it. I've been meaning to roll up my character ideas and throw 'em into the Roll Call, but never quite got to it (doesn't help that everytime I try to roll up a toon there seems to be a lot of mistakes to them >>;. I seem to be having a hard time getting the system down.)

But yes, I'm all for joining in! :D

DrZero
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby DrZero » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:18 am

YOU RaaaNG? 8)

I must say that I'm more than willing - and in fact downright eager - to see this excellent idea come to fruition; The idea that I can actually be helpful is just gravy!

So who do I have to maim - ahem, I mean who would I have to speak to about participating? I confess that I have zero artistic skill regarding actual draftmanship but I have plenty of ideas that I'd love to see illustrated. . . Just read through the Settings, Roll Call and Story Hour forum and you will too! :wink:

Hi Libra,
I'll pop you a PM shortly mate, I'd like to see a mix bag of Character challenges, from existing Mainstream comic book characters, M&M characters from the various sourcebooks and new character concepts.

DrZero
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby DrZero » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:19 am

Foomy wrote:Hi everyone. I've never actually posted any of my artwork on here, but I'm willing to take stabs at it. I've been meaning to roll up my character ideas and throw 'em into the Roll Call, but never quite got to it (doesn't help that everytime I try to roll up a toon there seems to be a lot of mistakes to them >>;. I seem to be having a hard time getting the system down.)

But yes, I'm all for joining in! :D

Good to hear mate, looking forward to seeing your stuff

DrZero
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby DrZero » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:25 am

just an update guys.
I've had a chat with Libra who has made some great ideas and suggestions for these challenges.

For our first challenge (October) I'm gonna go with a mainstream Marvel Superhero to get our creative juices going, it will be a character we are all familiar with (it will also be a good initial test run for the challenges)

The November challenge is gonna be Halloween related courtesy of Libra........ more will be revealed nearer the time.

I'll be posting our October challenge rules/guidelines within the next couple of days.

Doc

DrZero
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby DrZero » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:17 am

This months Art Challenge is up and running !

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34665

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:41 pm

I'm just going to post here and say that I've reconsidered the subject of the November Drawing Jam - Now I know that it will be posted in November I feel that making it Halloween-themed is a bit daft.

More when the next challenge rolls around! :wink:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Connovaer
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Connovaer » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:17 pm

Spot on Jonny boy

Thanks for the call on this one. TBH you knew me weakspot with ole Hornhead so you can count me in. It'll also be a good call to work to a guideline and a deadline, apply a bit of structure to my scribblings.

Return to “Drawing Board”