First artwork in 12 years...

We have a lot of talented artists who frequent these forums. This is the place for them to show off their stuff.
Weasel-Fierce
Bystander
Bystander

First artwork in 12 years...

Postby Weasel-Fierce » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:59 pm

Hi all,

I used to do a bit of sketching when I was young, but the start of a new campaign has inspired me to draw my character, Ravenwing (an amalgam of Robin/Nightwing).

I took the inspiration from a Robin picture by Freddie E. Williams II, so credit must be given to him for the basic pose, but then I put my drawing into photoshop for coloring. Considering it's my first drawing in 12 years and the first time I've used photoshop for colouring, I'm rather pleased.

Comments and criticism welcomed...

Jason_Sunday
Henchman
Henchman

Re: First artwork in 12 years...

Postby Jason_Sunday » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:12 pm

Weasel-Fierce wrote:Hi all,

I used to do a bit of sketching when I was young, but the start of a new campaign has inspired me to draw my character, Ravenwing (an amalgam of Robin/Nightwing).

I took the inspiration from a Robin picture by Freddie E. Williams II, so credit must be given to him for the basic pose, but then I put my drawing into photoshop for coloring. Considering it's my first drawing in 12 years and the first time I've used photoshop for colouring, I'm rather pleased.

Comments and criticism welcomed...
Any chance of seeing his stats. I think he rocks!

Mike Taylor
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Mike Taylor » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:22 pm

Assuming Dick Grayson picks up Bruce's old cape & cowl, I could see Tim Drake doing that.
(Witty comment coming soon.)

Weasel-Fierce
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Weasel-Fierce » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:23 pm

Thanks! I'm still fiddling with the stats, but its based very closely on Thorpacolypse's Nightwing build.

http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 617#387617

I made some changes to give him even more equipment, moving his weapon and swingline out of the array so he always has them available. I also tweaked the skills to be more to my liking. I may post the stats at some point, but really the Nightwing build is the gist of it.

In terms of background he's a fairly shameless tip of the cap to the junior Bat-men. He's a grown-up sidekick of his Uncle, The Eagle. He used to go by the name Sparrow, but is just now stepping out of the big-bird's shadow. I'm keen to do a portrait of the two of them in their hey-day just for a piece of background.

I've always liked Nightwing as a character, but in terms of look this is a cross between the new Robin costume (which I think is outstanding) and the red-bird Robin costume from Batman and Robin (one of the few good things to come out of that film!).

Weasel-Fierce
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Weasel-Fierce » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:28 pm

Mike Taylor wrote:Assuming Dick Grayson picks up Bruce's old cape & cowl, I could see Tim Drake doing that.

Yeah, I agree. That's kind of the look I was going for - a grown up Tim Drake, with echoes of Robin, Nightwing and Batman combined.

Just remember where you saw it first! :-P

kroh
Hireling
Hireling

Postby kroh » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:42 am

Cool Pic. What was it about this campaign that rocked you into sketching again?

Regards,
Walt

Weasel-Fierce
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Weasel-Fierce » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:50 am

kroh wrote:Cool Pic. What was it about this campaign that rocked you into sketching again?

Regards,
Walt

Thanks. Nothing specific - was just pumped because it's the first campaign I've managed to find in about a year and I had this character's look in the back of my mind.

We had our first game last night and it was fun, even though we spent most of the session with no equipment. Had to start thinking outside the box to overcome some of the obstacles without the aid of my wonderful toys, so it was a good learning experience with this character.

I think the next drawing I do will be the Ravenwing's sidekick persona in the heyday of Eagle and Sparrow, and then I've got to draw his modified motorcycle (which will most likely be based on a Ducati race bike). Once those are done I'll look at some team portraits.

kroh
Hireling
Hireling

Postby kroh » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:16 am

Sounds like you have a lot to look forward drawing all the goodies that you have (Nice choice on the Ducatti by the way...)

Regards,
Walt

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:22 pm

It looks very good, oh Weasel-Fierce. This may be your first art for 12 years, but I certainly hope it isn't the last. :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Return to “Drawing Board”