Payne's Art

We have a lot of talented artists who frequent these forums. This is the place for them to show off their stuff.
iconicus
Bystander
Bystander

Payne's Art

Postby iconicus » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:43 am

Not sure if I have posted my stuff here before...but

Iconicus

Tarus

Dromeas

Exilixi

Idrysi

The Oracle

Phobias

Tarus take 2

Iconicus in battle

Different character type now

Blackbird

Blackbird design sheet

Lore

Wasabi
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Wasabi » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:07 am

NICE work! I really like your Blackbird stuff a very interesting looking character! Keep up the good work!
~ Wasabi ~
Essentially not everyone can be a hero because some people need saving. And someone needs to be the guy to save the civilians from.

Omega Girl
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Omega Girl » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:12 pm

You've got a very iconic and personal style, and you're developing it well. I really like what you're showing us.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:53 pm

Very good work. I particularly like the Pencils. :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

iconicus
Bystander
Bystander

Sheepish grin

Postby iconicus » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:37 pm

Thanks...most of the art work there is like a year or two old...I will have to upload some of my newer stuff.

iconicus
Bystander
Bystander

New Pictures added

Postby iconicus » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:41 pm

Here's Iconicus, drawn about 8 months ago.

Marvel's take on Ares, Iconicus's Half Brother (I have versions of Iconicus for MArvel, DC and my own universe...Though I think he fits best in marvel)

Ares uncolored

and marvel's hercules, though I am not happy with how it turned out, though I do think it kinda looks like Eric Banna in the face, which is what I was going for, beyond that ( and that's just my warped mind seeing crap that ain't there) Not so happy with this one.

Wasabi
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Wasabi » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:02 pm

They all look good guy! Sometimes we are our own worst critic!
~ Wasabi ~

Essentially not everyone can be a hero because some people need saving. And someone needs to be the guy to save the civilians from.

iconicus
Bystander
Bystander

Worst Critic...ever

Postby iconicus » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:40 pm

Yeah, we are.

As to the Blackbird concept...well I LOVE Gatchaman (known to most as G-Force or Battle of the Planets) and to that end I designed a character who had that basic concept in style.

Blackbird is a 15 year old who's mother was killed by a man seeking to steal her designs on some prototype equipment.

The basic concept of the suit is it's made from liquid Kevlar
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,1 ... 04.00.html

Some of the suit is re-enforced with another layer of the stuff, and also has nomex lining.

The 'cape/wings' are made from that made up memory cloth idea from Batman Begins, allowing him short periods of gliding. I also liked the memory cloth enough to make his 'talon' out of them.

The biggest thing was the inclusion of kinetic absorbing/amplifying material. a polymer that absorbs and dissipates kinetic energy on one end and amplifies it out the other. Strips of these are lined into the soles of his boots (allowing greater leaps, and landings from higher heights) and in his knees elbows and knuckles (which allow him to slightly amplify the energy of his punches kicks elbow strikes and knee strikes).

Nothing way over the top, but to give him a slight edge in combat. His helmet is made of ceramic material, and is polarized so he can see out but no one can see in. The guts of a pair of infra red goggles allow him to see in the dark and the helmet also has a voice modulator, the basic concepts of a cell phone, and a small air supply inside. The suit was originally designed to be used by paratroopers/black ops/ navy seal types. The government deemed it too costly. so it was scrubbed. Blackbird uses it to avenge his mother's death, and is pushed then into crime fighting. He also employs throwing blades made to look like feathers (a big nod to Gatchaman's Joe)

Blackbird, like I said is a 15 year old who spent most of his life training to be a martial artist. Specifically he was training to make the US Olympic martial arts team, but a car accident damaged his back enough that he walks with a cane. The suit reinforces his back, allowing him to move about as if he has no real issues. Though a powerful enough kick to the back can cause him issues.

His nemesis is the man who murdered his mother, who in the origin story, is accidentally injected with a experimental combat drug designed from animal adrenalin. This transforms him into a disturbing looking man tiger, who calls himself Khan.

I have a whole slew of characters based on animals.
There's zhīzhū which means spider in Chinese. He was THE Chinese mob boss in SF and Khan nearly kills him, leaving him with massive scars. He undergoes and experimental procedure to have it reconstructed and it back fires, leaving him able to manipulate his skin, stretching it and making it harden, almost razor sharp. He tends to use this to run about like a spider. (I'll scan and upload his pic later)

Eve, a woman who is sent by the Triad to put a stop to the gang war that Khan starts (thanks to Blackbird's vengeance trip). She has undergone Gene manipulation, and is half snake (lower half).

The Watcher- An ex navy seal who discovers Blackbird's secret ID and becomes obsessed with him. Bird watcher, haha.

Chain- A assassin who uses chains...duh...kinda a metaphor for a CAGED BIRD.

Toxin- A hit man who likes to use nerve gas.

Nightingale- Blackbird gets a side kick in the form of his best friend's sister. She is captured and tortured and kinda snaps, seeking a way to kill him (she blames him, thinking he abandoned her)

I came up with Blackbird a long time ago when I was working for a now defunct Independent comic company.

The poster would have his logo, and it would say

DC gave you the Bat
Marvel gave you the Spider
We're gonna give you the Bird.

Kinda a F you sort of thing...play on words etc.

I really like this character, and love the idea that every mugger, rapist, robber etc that he goes up against...could kill him. He's small, and fast, and talented, but he's no batman, and it's just to the right of reality. IE could happen IF this tech existed, and the tech, for the most part, isn't outlandish....well mostly.

Sorta a Street Hawk meets Spider man depowered type thing.

Dealing with high school, secret id, a dad who is a cop, a gang war that is his fault and the guilt of his mother's death.

The core of the comic would deal with what it means to be a hero versus being a vigilante. Does he kill? Does he try to save the villian? How does this really effect a person's personality and outlook on life.

The first issue opens with him loking down at Khan, who is hanging from a busted window some six stories up, on the edge of the bay. Khan can't pull himself up, and Blackbird is debating what he should do.

Then it goes into the origin story, and ends back in the same place, him debating. In the end, (now this is prior to Batman Begins when I wrote it) he decides he doesn't have to kill Khan, he just doesn't have to save him.

Now I clearly have to go back and reword it. Later that choice, which really was a choice to kill Khan, has massive consequences.

Anyway, I went on and on...love the character though..

He's been run in a DC game. In the game he eventually tracks down bats, and gets some additional training. This the GM had happen during the NEW BATGIRL era. I got to be the Robin for a bit...then back home...but it was a cool arc.

I did it again, better sign out before I kep going on.

Shinobi
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Shinobi » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:35 pm

Now this is a cool thread. I like the simplicity of line - very economic and stylistic.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:20 am

It is indeed very fine work. :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:07 am

Yup, a very clean style which really allows the designs to speak for themselves. Fortunately, you've got a keen eye for design.
Some really striking stuff which flows nicely with the characters. Some great lines.
I quite like your big foot Bruce Timm/Fleisher Brothers thing, too. It's a neat style.

iconicus
Bystander
Bystander

Gosh

Postby iconicus » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:36 pm

thanks again...

Anything you don't like?

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:07 am

The fact that there isn't more art on this wonderful thread? :wink:

Return to “Drawing Board”