Pól's Art Thread

We have a lot of talented artists who frequent these forums. This is the place for them to show off their stuff.
Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Re: Pól's Art Thread

Postby Pól Rua » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:33 am

At one stage, the heroes headed to Boston to stop a fiendish crimewave there and ended up teaming up with one of the local heroes. This guy started out as a one-line throwaway description (some of my favourite characters have done that) - Sergeant Steel is an ex-cop who got steel-hard skin and now leads a small private security and investigations firm.
Sergeant Steel.
Sgt Steel by Pól Rua, on Flickr

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:38 am

This last one came about when we had a new player join the game for a very brief time. His character was a Cold War-era War Robot which had been launched into space and returned to Earth after being found and largely rebuilt by aliens.
His nemesis was a Cold War-era Russian Mad Scientist, however, rather than having super-space battle robot pound away on a geriatric, I created an heir for the Scientist, a son who he has forcibly transformed into a cyborg warrior - The Iron Kommissar.
Iron Kommissar by Pól Rua, on Flickr
Unfortunately, the player left before Iron Kommissar could be introduced, but the GM has declared that the design is too good to waste and is just waiting on an excuse to spring him on us.

cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

Re: 2. Mythological viking cat-girl technician.

Postby cobalt-blue » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:53 am

Pól Rua wrote:This character's concept was pretty complex. A magical cat, servant of the Norse Goddess, Freya, sent to Earth with magical superpowers, PURRSHA serves mainly as the team's technician and science whiz.

I really wanted the look of the character to reflect both the mythological and technological aspects of the character. Having never drawn anthropomorphic characters before, I took some influence from Juan Diaz Gonzales and Juanjo Guarnido and their wonderful comic series, 'Blacksad'.

Are you familiar with my magecat series, anthropomorphic werecats who are servants of Freyja sent to Earth with The commission "To stand between humanity and those who would the free enchain."?

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:47 pm

Pól Rua wrote:Sergeant Steel.
Sgt Steel by Pól Rua, on Flickr

I've totally seen that same guy at a bar in Houston, he was just wearing tighter pants. I love the art, you've got a great eye.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:17 pm

cobalt-blue wrote:Are you familiar with my magecat series, anthropomorphic werecats who are servants of Freyja sent to Earth with The commission "To stand between humanity and those who would the free enchain."?

Nope, but I'd probably bet the original creator is... I'll certainly pass on the info.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:18 pm

ClassDunce wrote:I've totally seen that same guy at a bar in Houston, he was just wearing tighter pants. I love the art, you've got a great eye.

Thanks, man, much appreciated.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:23 pm

This is Johnny Blaze (Yeah, I know, I didn't name him).
Johnny Blaze by Pól Rua, on Flickr
He's a fire/energy manipulator and time-traveller with an incredibly convoluted backstory (though to be fair, it's a back, fore and side-story). Basically, the player plays him like a showy goofball, so I tried to get that into the picture.

cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

Postby cobalt-blue » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:39 pm

Pól Rua wrote:
cobalt-blue wrote:Are you familiar with my magecat series, anthropomorphic werecats who are servants of Freyja sent to Earth with The commission "To stand between humanity and those who would the free enchain."?

Nope, but I'd probably bet the original creator is... I'll certainly pass on the info.

Here's the link: http://www.runespinner.net/index.php?p=1_32_Atlantis-Unleashed-Stories

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Ta for that.
I'll pass it on.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:59 am

A few months ago, we did what the GM called a "Meanwhile..." game.
Basically, half the team headed into space and the other half stayed behind to guard Freedom City. The way it works is, half the PC's create alternate characters for the space game, and the other half created alternate characters for the Earth-based game... which I'll get to later.

The first character was PRISM, a magical, light-controlling shaman, deriving strange powers from a mysterious gemstone. Yes, she's an Asari from 'Mass Effect'.
Prism by Pól Rua, on Flickr

The second was ORION. One of the Star-Knights, Orion, though, has no physical form. He is made of Stardust and strange cosmic forces, which are contained within his repurposed Star Knight armour.
Orion by Pól Rua, on Flickr

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:06 am

The main 'star' of the cosmic 'Meanwhile' was Guitar Hero (who I've posted in his civilian gear). Basically, a slacker musician who gained possession of a powerful alien artefact (which changes shape into whatever the user is most comfortable wielding).
In his superhero ID / form, he looked something like this. (Yeah, I was REALLY pushing the whole Ace Frehley thing)...
Guitar Hero - Costume - Version 1 by Pól Rua, on Flickr

However, during the space adventure, he not only discovered his purpose in gaining the guitar, but managed to internalize its power, so that now the power comes from him and is channeled by the guitar. The guy playing him also seemed to indicate that he wasn't wearing the costume so much... putting on weird clothes and facepaint... too much bother.
So I thought, a variation on his civilian attire with a 70's retro T-shirt which kinda says 'superhero' could do just as well.
Guitar Hero - Costume - Version 2 by Pól Rua, on Flickr

Unfortunately, the player didn't seem all that keen, but I think it's pretty nifty.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:14 pm

While half the team was in space (Science Ape, Guitar Hero, Johnny Blaze), the other half (Blindside and Fracture) were on Earth.
So the GM decided to run a series of 'Meanwhile...' stories centred on Fracture.

Fracture's a very 'Iron Age' character, basically a cross between Daredevil, Batman and the Punisher. His costume was kind of difficult, because the description I had was a kind of special forces/SWAT outfit, and I had to make one that said 'superhero'. So here's what I ended up with...

During this scenario, the heroes travelled from Freedom City to Hong Kong, where they teamed up with local heroes, the bloodthirsty, Triad-hunting vigilante and zen gunfighter known as Ghost Fox...
Ghost Fox by Pól Rua, on Flickr

...and giant kung-fu powerhouse, Iron Grasshopper.
Iron Grasshopper by Pól Rua, on Flickr
Last edited by Pól Rua on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:19 pm

During this time, we also briefly encountered a mysterious superspy calling herself Maskerade...
Maskerade by Pól Rua, on Flickr

And a new team member, Moodstone.
Moodstone by Pól Rua, on Flickr

During this time, we battled a fiendish cult of Weretigers, led by the diabolical Master Zhao.
Master Zhao by Pól Rua, on Flickr

Devastation Bob
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Devastation Bob » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:19 pm

Very cool art. You should do writeups of your games, they sound awesome.
We really shook the pillars of heaven, didn't we, Wang? --Jack Burton

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:37 am

Thanks, mate.
I have to say, the GM does a hell of a job, but all the players are really keen and into it, and pitch a lot of ideas his way. To his credit, he'll take a lot of suggestions on board, which is awesome, and you end up with quite a nuanced game experience.
As for adventure write-ups, I think he's got something like that nutted out, but I'll definitely check it out.

All I can say is, any game where I can go from playing a Gorilla with a jetpack and a raygun fighting an invasion of Nazi clones trying to cripple the nation with black magic, to playing a vengeful female zen gunfighter battling weretiger gangsters in the mean streets of Hong Kong, all in the one campaign world... is a big fun sammich with extra fun sauce.

Plus, it gives me a LOT of variety in what I get to draw. Sometimes it's aliens in battle armour, sometimes it's superhuman street kids battling an evil cult leader. It never gets dull.

Return to “Drawing Board”