Pól's Art Thread

We have a lot of talented artists who frequent these forums. This is the place for them to show off their stuff.
Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Pól's Art Thread

Postby Pól Rua » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:56 am

I've always loved being able to do sketches for my RPG characters.
I don't think I'm really able to get my head around a character until I can 'see' them.

Anyway, for a while now, I've been unable to get a regular game happening AND I haven't been producing much in the way of artwork...

So yeah, about a month and a half ago, I started a fortnightly M&M game. And in that time, I drew the following succession of artwork. Co-incidence?
You decide!

Anyway, the mission brief I got was:

1. An alien special forces psychic.
2. A mythological viking cat-girl with technological aptitude.
3. A flame controller.
4. A teleporting plainclothes wiseacre with a portable arsenel.

To which, I added my character, a super-strong, masked Mexican wrestler.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

1. Alien Special Forces Psychic

Postby Pól Rua » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:13 am

Based loosely on Hawkgirl from the JLU cartoon, (except, you know, a dude) our first contestant is STRIKER. A psionic alien sent to earth as an advance wave for conquest, he's decided to change sides.
I wanted the costume to look functional... combining a kind of special forces/Judge Dredd look with an alien supersoldier vibe.
Last edited by Pól Rua on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

2. Mythological viking cat-girl technician.

Postby Pól Rua » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:21 am

This character's concept was pretty complex. A magical cat, servant of the Norse Goddess, Freya, sent to Earth with magical superpowers, PURRSHA serves mainly as the team's technician and science whiz.

I really wanted the look of the character to reflect both the mythological and technological aspects of the character. Having never drawn anthropomorphic characters before, I took some influence from Juan Diaz Gonzales and Juanjo Guarnido and their wonderful comic series, 'Blacksad'.
Last edited by Pól Rua on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

3. Flame Controller

Postby Pól Rua » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:28 am

This guy basically told me his character "looked like the fiery guy from 'Ben 10'". I kept the general look of the face similar, but I tried to tweak it a bit.
Originally, the character was called 'Hellfire', but later, the player decided to call him FIREBIRD... a decision which led to a costume change and me having to figure out how to come up with a bird symbol for his outfit that I hadn't already used on my character... see later.
Still not 100% on this guy. The torso's still a bit too busy... but I'm pretty happy.
Last edited by Pól Rua on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

4. Heavily-armed plainclothes wiseacre.

Postby Pól Rua » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:35 am

Based on the Marvel Character Deadpool, this guy, who goes by the terrifying name of TRENT THORNE, is a regenerating teleporter who, in his own player's words, "Isn't a grim servant of darkness. He's more... what's the word?... an annoying jerk."
Packing a sword, a blaster rifle, a laser pistol, a captured alien power-gauntlet, and wearing a bulletproof vest, he's otherwise your standard shabby plainclothes guy.
Last edited by Pól Rua on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

5. Super-Strong Luchador

Postby Pól Rua » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:45 am

This guy was inspired by two of my favourite crime-thumpers, Luke Cage, Hero for Hire, and The Blue Demon, my favourite classic luchador. Both badasses in their own right.
EL AGUILA AZUL is probably the closest thing to a four-colour superhero in the team, and I'm thoroughly enjoying playing him as over-the-top and square-jawed as possible.
As far as the costume went, I was looking for as classic a look as possible, basing his appearance on Blue Demon (naturally enough), El Santo (of course) and a luchador called Dos Caras who has one of the coolest, and most classic, masks I've seen.
Image[/b]

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:47 am

Since then, I've done a number of other characters, including some villains, but I don't wanna flood the joint.
Comments? Ideas? Criticisms?

Shinobi
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Shinobi » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:14 am

I like what I'm seeing here. Do you start these sketches from scratch or do you use reference material - I like some of the poses, particularly the female Puss in Boots character.

Let some others have their say and by all means post some more - I'd like to see it!.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:35 am

My characters usually start out with a very generic pose.
This is the initial design sketch for El Aguila. Most of my initial sketches use this pose or something like it, but sometimes the character will demand something with a bit more character.
I am very lazy, and one of my weaknesses is drawing the same pose over and over again, so I do try and get out of it, so you don't end up with a series of paper dollies.

As for reference, I used a bunch here and there, so that El Aguila's wrestling boots looked right, I mentioned looking at the way the Blacksad artist draws his anthropomorphic characters... I had a bit of trouble drawing Striker's tac-vest, so I found a bunch of different designs and illustrations and tried to put bits and pieces that I liked together.

ultaraguyver
Hireling
Hireling

Postby ultaraguyver » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:06 am

I am very lazy, and one of my weaknesses is drawing the same pose over and over again, so I do try and get out of it, so you don't end up with a series of paper dollies.

I have that same problem

Great drawings, I really like the alien enforcer dude, very dredd. Seeing all these artists works is making me want to get out my pencils and un-rust my drawing skills.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:12 am

ultaraguyver wrote:I have that same problem

I find it a lot easier to do the design work on the paper dolly pose and then try and work out something that gives more of a feel of the character's personality.
The more you do it, the easier it gets. Photo reference is awesome.

ultaraguyver wrote:Great drawings, I really like the alien enforcer dude, very dredd. Seeing all these artists works is making me want to get out my pencils and un-rust my drawing skills.

Thanks.
And DO IT! More art for the art-lovers!

Wasabi
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Wasabi » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:09 am

Awesome Art guy - Its great to see your stuff - keep up the good work!
~ Wasabi ~
Essentially not everyone can be a hero because some people need saving. And someone needs to be the guy to save the civilians from.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:53 pm

Most excellent Mr Rua. Please keep up the good work. :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:57 am

Thanks for the comments, guys. I really appreciate it.
As promised, some baddies. First, Silver Age Mexican Arch-Villain and archfoe of El Aguila Azul's mentor, the diabolical EL BRUJO!
Last edited by Pól Rua on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:03 am

El Brujo's a manipulator who sits back and lets underlings, henchmen and cat's paws do his bidding and take the lumps. And in this adventure, he had three such underlings.
The first was a mysterious Asian martial arts master. Based on the bit from 'The Simpsons' about the little guy who's just standing there doing nothing.
We were so terrified of this guy that whenever he got into a fight, we'd just jump on him before he could destroy us utterly.
The result being that we never found out his name.
Here he is anyway.
Last edited by Pól Rua on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Drawing Board”