Pól's Art Thread

We have a lot of talented artists who frequent these forums. This is the place for them to show off their stuff.
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:18 am

'Contemplating', eh? :wink: 8)
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Re: Pól's Art Thread

Postby Pól Rua » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:58 pm

It's been a hell of a long time. Unfortunately, my life drawing group re-located to Wednesday Night, making it impossible for me to attend, and my M&M game broke up, which was a drag.

Since then, I've been pretty dry. I've maybe drawn a couple of throwaway pictures here and there, and some doodles and sketches which have amounted to nothing. However, recently, we finally managed to get the old M&M posse back together, which has resulted in me getting back into drawing... which is nice.

So here's my character, Dr.Thaddeus Kilimanjaro... Science Ape!
Last edited by Pól Rua on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:00 pm

Of course, Doc Kilimanjaro doesn't always wear his superhero clobber.
He's also a sometime lecturer and research scientist at Freedom City University, where he tends to dress a little more sedately...
Science Ape 2 by Pól Rua, on Flickr
Last edited by Pól Rua on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:07 pm

As you can seem I'm really going for a Silver Age vibe with him, and he has a pretty detailed origin story going all the way back to the 60's, when he worked with/and sometimes against a Silver Age 'Flash'-type hero called Molecule Man.
The GM wanted us to come up with an arch-villain for our characters. So far, I have only a vague idea of Science Ape's nemesis, but here's a picture of Molecule Man's Silver Age arch-enemy whose backstory is tied to Science Ape and his father, Professor Sebastian Kilimanjaro.
The Dastardly... Mister Menagerie!
Mister Menagerie by Pól Rua, on Flickr
Last edited by Pól Rua on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:58 am

Fine Work, Pol Rua - I particularly like Doc Kilimanjaro! :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:46 am

It's so tempting to use the basic illustration of Dr.Kilimanjaro as a paper doll and just come dress him up in different awesome action costumes, however, I've been trying to limit myself... that said, after saving the mayor's daughter, we got invited to a formal dinner...
Last edited by Pól Rua on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:51 am

Here are two of Doc's team-mates, the speedster, 'Blindside', and a character currently tentatively calling himself 'Guitar Hero'. Both of these are rough concept sketches based on the players' descriptions, and I'm hoping to tweak them a bit once they get back to me with more details.

Blindside by Pól Rua, on Flickr

Guitar Hero.
Guitar Hero by Pól Rua, on Flickr
Last edited by Pól Rua on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

MorningKnight
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby MorningKnight » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:16 am

Pol, if it's wrong to have a man-crush on Doctor Kilimanjaro, then I don't want to be right. He is simply too full of epic win to be bearable.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:22 pm

I know!
I mean, it's been taking all my effort not to just turn him into a kind of paper doll and dress him up in different 'action gear'. I'm also desperately trying to stave off the impulse to try and make myself a Doc Kilimanjaro action figure.

MorningKnight
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby MorningKnight » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:09 pm

Pól Rua wrote:I know!
I mean, it's been taking all my effort not to just turn him into a kind of paper doll and dress him up in different 'action gear'. I'm also desperately trying to stave off the impulse to try and make myself a Doc Kilimanjaro action figure.

As I look at the four plastic storage crates of 12" GI Joe stuff I had from my 90's binge, I warn you, that way lies madness and poor floor access.

MorningKnight
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby MorningKnight » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:20 pm

Sorry for having Doc Kilimanjaro "dressed down" for this crossover pic, but I couldn't help it.

(and blame Arthur Eld for the bear. ;) )

(and sorry for putting my scribbles in your wonderful thread. I just loved having some fan art for you.)

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:15 pm

MorningKnight wrote:Sorry for having Doc Kilimanjaro "dressed down" for this crossover pic, but I couldn't help it.

(and blame Arthur Eld for the bear. ;) )

(and sorry for putting my scribbles in your wonderful thread. I just loved having some fan art for you.)

Wowzers! I think that's the first fan art I've ever seen of one of my creations, thanks!
As for the Doc, he tends to wear what's appropriate. If he'd been working on a problem for a long time, chances are he'd choose comfort over sartorial elegance.

MorningKnight
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby MorningKnight » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:48 pm

And yet, I twisted his poor arm, and stuck him with a necktie.

'course, it's the collar that's the real discomfort, not the tie itself.

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:26 am

Oh man, it's been a LONG time between appearances! I've moved house, my home town has flooded, however, the game is still going on strong.
I'm still playing Doc Kilimanjaro, however, I've managed to finish a whole mess of new pictures... which is nice.
So here's one or two.
First up is The Critic, a.k.a. General Kryddix. He's an interstellar war criminal and Guitar Hero's arch-nemesis. The GM described him as a lizard man (not too lizardy), wearing a bodysuit with high tech armoured plates on it.
Critic by Pól Rua, on Flickr

Pól Rua
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Pól Rua » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:30 am

Next, The Dungeon Master, arch-enemy of Blindside.
As Blindside was a superpowered jock, his creator decided that his arch-enemy should be a superpowered nerd. Ol'DM has enhanced intelligence, but can boost his intelligence even further, creating the bulging eyes/massive cranium look.
At the conclusion of his first appearance, he tried to kill the mayor's daughter by spraying her with acid, but a stray blast punctured the tank and he got the horrific scars you can see in this picture. It was one of those, "Surely, nobody could have survived THAT!" endings.
Dungeon Master by Pól Rua, on Flickr

Return to “Drawing Board”