6x8 or 9x12?

We have a lot of talented artists who frequent these forums. This is the place for them to show off their stuff.
etrigan
Cohort
Cohort

6x8 or 9x12?

Postby etrigan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:49 pm

Hi, I have a question concerning pen tablet.

I want to make myself a nice christmas gift and I`ve decided to change my old 4x6 Wacom for a Wacom Intuos 3 6x8 or 9x12...
Beside the difference of cost (about 125$), does it make a real difference? Critics of the product I`ve read so far seem to indicated that the 9x12 reproduce the feel of drawing on a paper a lot better...
For those of you who have change from a 4x6 pen tablet to a bigger one with 1024 pressure level and 5081 resolution, do you consider it a improvement? Is it so obvious that I won't understand why I've wait so long to buy a new one? :-)

And unfortunely, no local dealer have this kind of tablet in stock, so I will have to buy it online without being able to try it...

Thanks!

angille
Bystander
Bystander

Postby angille » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:56 pm

I have a 6x8 original Intuos, and it's delightful. And, in perfect working (though not cosmetic) condition despite being eight years old. I moved up from a Hitachi 4x5 with 256 pressure levels.

My first thought was, well, I'm only working with 256 levels in Photoshop or Painter, right? See, what those extra levels do is make it so you can calibrate to a smaller subset of the stylus' full capacity, but still retain the full precision. So that's a huge bonus.

As for resolution... I didn't even notice resolution issues with my Hitachi, so any Wacom's gonna do the trick there.

Oh, and the size? The "feel of drawing on paper" has very little to do with the size of the tablet. The only way you're really going to get anything approaching that is with a Cintiq. Your style may be completely different from mine, but I find that my pen strokes adjust to fit the tablet based on screen feedback, but a larger tablet does not adjust to fit a laptop bag.

It's your call; make the upgrade either way, but if your drawing style requires large sweeping strokes, and your tablet input is important to you, you won't regret the larger tablet.

Elfy
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Elfy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:37 pm

I have both a 6x8 Intuos 2 and a 9x12 Intuos 2 (the 9x12, btw, is for sale for a reasonable offer, if anyone's interested).

I find the 6x8 size to be much more comfortable for sitting in my lap and for my drawing style, but I've always preferred drawing with smaller strokes. The smaller size works better than the large if you use a laptop and lug things around with you to draw at a library or something like that.

If you tend to use a lot of long, wilder strokes or are used to using a painter canvas, you might like the extra space of the large size better.

In the end, it's really more of a feel thing and depends on the individual person. It's hard for anyone else to say which size you'll like best.

etrigan
Cohort
Cohort

Postby etrigan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:23 am

Since I`m use to draw on 8 1/2 x 11 paper, I guess the 6x8 tablet will do just fine.. Thanks!

HowwwwL
Hireling
Hireling

Postby HowwwwL » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:59 am

I use a 4x6 Intuos3 and I think it is great for coloring. I can't see myself getting a bigger one, unless I went directly to Cintiq. Of course, I draw with pencils, and scan it in, then use the Intuos for coloring with Photoshop.

If I were to draw with the tablet, I would probably go Cintiq directly. Not sure if that will ever happen tho, I love the feel of my pencils too much.
:)

Return to “Drawing Board”