Artist(s) sought for a project or two

We have a lot of talented artists who frequent these forums. This is the place for them to show off their stuff.
Claire Redfield
Comrade
Comrade

Artist(s) sought for a project or two

Postby Claire Redfield » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:29 pm

So, I want to do a Superpowered by M&M project. In fact, I have two ideas, and I'm going to put them up on Kickstarter (since I'm dirt-poor) when they're done. That's how I'll pay for various extras to the work, and believe me, I have a good enough reputation on RPGnet that the minimum funding of 5000 shouldn't be hard.

However, yes, that does mean that you'd more or less be working for free at first. At least until the funding comes in, and then I'd happily pay you. But if you're looking to get your work out there, this would be a good way to do it. Here are the projects I want to do:

1) A rules options book. Probably small, but some good pics are always nice. It's sort of a spiritual successor to Ultimate Power and Mastermind's Manual, with various new Extras and rules options for 3E games to bring back some of the stuff I really liked in 2E, and add some new things.

2) Super Robot Future. It's a high-octane world of the future, inspired by Mega Man and similar properties, where humans, robots, androids and cyborgs wage wars with words and weapons and questions like "What does it really mean to be human? To have free will?" form upon the lips of people both organic and metal.

SRF would be the second project, because the first is to get some recognition and good will and also to provide some rules options I'd probably use in SRF.

So, now, is anyone interested in this at all?
Claire Redfield • Onyx Path Freelancer
Demon: The Descent, Blood & Smoke, Book of the Wyrm and Umbra 20

peregrine
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Artist(s) sought for a project or two

Postby peregrine » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:00 pm

I might suggest you do the kickstarter first, to get the money to pay for the art. Because "It's a great way to get noticed" is garbage and usually near the top of the lists of "ways people try to take advantage of illustrators."

Claire Redfield
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Claire Redfield » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:59 pm

peregrine wrote:I might suggest you do the kickstarter first, to get the money to pay for the art. Because "It's a great way to get noticed" is garbage and usually near the top of the lists of "ways people try to take advantage of illustrators."

That's the plan, but I need some pics for the Kickstarter to help sell the product to pay the money for the art. I have no desire to take advantage of anyone or rip anyone off; I'm an artist just the same (well, I write, but it's an art), but I'm unfortunately rather poor. I'd start the Kickstarter right now if I thought I could make the minimum funding, but I need something for the presentation.
Claire Redfield • Onyx Path Freelancer
Demon: The Descent, Blood & Smoke, Book of the Wyrm and Umbra 20

urbwar
Bystander
Bystander

Postby urbwar » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Why don't you pick up some clip art on Drivethru/RPGNow for the presentation? There's some good art to be found. I've gotten quite a bit of clip art for potential use that way.

Another option would be to order a few pieces over time, and use those in the presentation. I get you're poor; so am I, but I have been slowly ordering commissions from artists for the past 2 years, and have gotten a small but decent collection of art. Quite a few artists are relatively inexpensive to work with if you look hard enough. I've been very lucky finding the people I've had the pleasure of working with to date.

Sure it means taking longer to start the KS, but you also build up more of a reliable reputation with artists beforehand.

Return to “Drawing Board”