Digital coloring

We have a lot of talented artists who frequent these forums. This is the place for them to show off their stuff.
thecosmicgoose
Groupie
Groupie

Digital coloring

Postby thecosmicgoose » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:14 am

Hola folks. i;ve been fooling around with a technique called "cut-n-grad" or just "cuts". its used alot in western comics as a coloring style. it has a very nice, rich "airbrushed" look to it. but its alot harder to use then it looks. heres a sample of my own work using the technique.

this is a somewhat older peice that i did, its the only one that i could find on this computer though, so it will have to do as a demonstration.

hopefully photobucket didnt screw up the sizing.

you can see how gradients are heavily used in the style. other examples of the technique, atleast as i use it, can be found on my DA gallery (il just post the link rather then do alot of redundant uploading) http://thecosmicgoose.deviantart.com/

i was wondering if anyone else on these boards uses this technique, and wouldnt mind giving some advice to a neophyte.
i have ADH&D, its like ADHD, but with dice.

DMAC
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby DMAC » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:35 am

I would say that the shading could use a lot more contrast. Right now everything is pretty even looking.

It's hard to color over an existing image, but I tried to show what I'm talking about here:

thecosmicgoose
Groupie
Groupie

Postby thecosmicgoose » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:20 am

oooh. nice. now did you use only the gradient tool, or did some airbrushing go along with that?

also, i seem to have trouble picking good base tones. their either to light or to dark, and once i start the full render with the gradients, they look washed out (as you can tell in the origonal). is there a trick to getting the good base tone?
i have ADH&D, its like ADHD, but with dice.

DMAC
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby DMAC » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:35 am

I don't think I've ever used the gradient tool for coloring. Everything is done with either hard or soft-edged brushes. Sometimes I'll use the hard-edged brush to start a "cut" and then blend it out with a soft-edged brush set to a lower opacity (around 35%).

Some people like to start very dark and then build up their midtones and highlights from there. I usually start by filling the whole image with a single mid-tone color and then start figuring out shading and highlights.

Here's a cool link to a digital painting in progress by another artist that might be helpful:

http://www.drawingboard.org/viewtopic.php?t=49097

Return to “Drawing Board”