Why No Lens Flare?

We have a lot of talented artists who frequent these forums. This is the place for them to show off their stuff.
Chairman7w
Bystander
Bystander

Why No Lens Flare?

Postby Chairman7w » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:27 pm

Hi there, as a non-artist and someone who reads these boards, I'm just wondering why Lens-Flare is so frowned upon.

Just curious - thanks!
"Not I," said the Duck, "But OK."

DMAC
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby DMAC » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:58 pm

:P

I think this probably originated from my comments. The problem I have isn't so much with the use of the lens flare filter (or any of the other filters in Photoshop), but with its abuse. I've seen so much bad fantasy art where the lens flare is used as a magic effect which doesn't match the style of the piece at all, or on the edge of every single plate of a suit of armor to show that it's metallic.

I came across this picture on a photo restoration site which used this as an example of turning your photos into "works of art":

It's just like when word processing software hit PCs in the 80s and everyone thought they were graphic designers because they could paste things together with clip art and dozens of different fonts. Just because it's easy, doesn't mean it's good. A properly used lens flare can be very effective, one slapped onto a piece to try to make it "fancy" looks cheap.

Chairman7w
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Chairman7w » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:11 pm

LOL! Oh, okay - gotcha.

Yeah, that dog example is horrid. Hee heee, I see what you mean.
"Not I," said the Duck, "But OK."

Giblet
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Giblet » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:16 pm

Lens flares are just oogly.

Helios-Re
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Helios-Re » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:12 am

They also have a tendency to get in the way of your subject.

"I can look at the nifty guy holding the sword, or the BIG GLOWY THING."

ART!
Hireling
Hireling

Postby ART! » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:55 am

what gets me about lens flares is that they tell me I am looking through a lens. I came across an rpg book a while back, where the cover was made to look like the cover of some ancient, leathery and bejewelled tome, with sand around the edges to make it look like it was found in a desert or something. The jewels all had lens flares on them.

So...I'm in the desert...with a camera? In an ancient fantasy setting?

Heh?

It's pretty sad, really. Lens flares have become so ubiquitous that things "look wrong" without them, because our culture is immersed in camera-recorded media.
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.

threshel
Hireling
Hireling

Postby threshel » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:39 pm

Does anyone have an example of a lens flare used well? I only ask out of curiousity.
:)
J

ART!
Hireling
Hireling

Postby ART! » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:25 pm

They seem to work best in cgi shots in which the "camera" is zooming or panning past a light source (a bright star or sun or bright spaceship engines). A moving lens flare that appears and rotates (or whatever) around the center of the center of the "lens", and then goes away as the light source does. At least, that's where I think they work best

In this image it works fairly well, partly because Ultimates is after a very filmic aesthetic.

That said, i hate when people put lens flares on Cap's shield (can't find an example quickly), because I don't imagine his shield being that shiney. Iron Man's armor, sure. Cap's shield, no.
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.

Beleriphon
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Beleriphon » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:37 pm

threshel wrote:Does anyone have an example of a lens flare used well? I only ask out of curiousity.
:)
J

Well, thats a really an image of the sun witha lens flare. But thats about the only time that a lens flare should be used, when there would actually be a lens flare in a photograph/

Return to “Drawing Board”