Langy's Den of Art

We have a lot of talented artists who frequent these forums. This is the place for them to show off their stuff.
Langy
Bystander
Bystander

Langy's Den of Art

Postby Langy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:39 pm

This post will contain any character or other superhero-centric art I've made.

The first set of pictures is going to be based off of my first MnM game to GM, called Surviving AMERICA. The AMERICA campaign setting is one I created a couple months ago for my first GMing of a Mutants and Masterminds campaign. The setting is essentially a 'what-if' scenario of "what would the near-future be if several thousand people started displaying amazing powers and one of them uses their powers in a horridly evil way?' The campaign I'm running right now is set in 2011, and the first superhuman powers began appearing after a retrovirus plague outbreak in 2006. In 2008, one of the new mutants essentially nuked Washington, D.C. This caused an uproar and the new President (Dick Cheney, next in line of succession after Bush was killed in the attack) instilled martial law and passed a series of laws called the AMERICA Laws (for American Mutant rEform and Related Issues Control Acts.) Basically, it forced mutant registration and 'shackling' dangerous powers and outlawing all uses of powers except in governmental service.

The 'heros' (if you can call them that) were ordinary joes when the virus hit and were turned into relatively powerful mutants (PL 8/140 PP). They evaded the government-mandated registration and were outlaws, but were recently caught and are currently in the process of being booked into the sole superhuman-capable prison (the Buckner Ridge Superhuman Penitentiary from Lockdown, with the Cartel exchanged for a legitimate company called the United Securities Corporation). Some of these 'heros' have comitted murder in order to stay free (one *mass* murder - he was convicted of over one hundred counts of murder and is to serve four consecutive life sentences without parole). Most of the five characters, however, aren't all that evil and I wouldn't classify them as 'antiheros', just 'not what you'd normally expect' heros.

In any case, the first character portrait I've finished is of the aformentioned mass murderer, a pyrokinetic/telekinetic/darkness controller, a 19-year-old kid named Colin.

I drew him up on the tablet I bought on this Thursday, and I have to say I definitely like how he turned out, though I originally planned on creating swirling clouds of darkness rather than the darkness aura.

Please, feel free to give comments, criticism, and especially pointers. I'm certainly not used to drawing in this style (or format, even) and would like any help you can give.

teleportingbassist
Zealot
Zealot

Postby teleportingbassist » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:11 pm

Can you make it bigger? He seems interesting, but I can barely see him.
"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why" Slaughterhouse-Five

Vorokoth
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Vorokoth » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:16 pm

teleportingbassist wrote:Can you make it bigger? He seems interesting, but I can barely see him.

Click on it, mate. :wink:

Langy
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Langy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:01 pm

teleportingbassist wrote:Can you make it bigger? He seems interesting, but I can barely see him.

What, 1130x2300 isn't big enough?;)

This next character is Preston, the Electric Man!

I'm still debating on whether to fill in the character or not. Right now I'm leaning towards 'not', though that may change in the future.

I'm probably going to change around his lightning 'aura' bit some so that it's mostly going behind him, as that's a picture of him in flight.

Langy
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Langy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:40 pm

Here's the next character, Sam the shape-changer. The character is based on the Dopplegangers from D&D, and I used the picture of one as the basis of the sketch. The woman's expression is supposed to be a bit of a smirk, though I'm not sure I captured it right. Also, the blue light is essentially a placeholder - I need to get with the player and see how he thinks it should look, though I'm thinking a gradual change with a color gradient between the two 'sides'.

teleportingbassist
Zealot
Zealot

Postby teleportingbassist » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:28 pm

Great stuff. I didn't click on it. Sorry. Once again, great stuff.

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why" Slaughterhouse-Five

Return to “Drawing Board”