Kev's randoms (UPNOW: previous works)

We have a lot of talented artists who frequent these forums. This is the place for them to show off their stuff.
Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Kev's randoms (UPNOW: previous works)

Postby Demongg » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:32 pm

Hey all,

I'm NOT an illustrator at all, I'm an art director and designer that toys with illustration sometimes. So I may post anything from design to illustrations here that have spawned from my enjoyment of M&M...

I'm happy to hear critiques and suggestions.
Last edited by Demongg on Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-kev-

"With great power..."

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Stick Juggernaut

Postby Demongg » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:34 pm

First up - I was inspired to try my hand at the "Order of the Stick" style work based on Beleriphon's excellent little thread.

I'm thinking my try at it is a little too much, not "sticky" enough... But I'd love to hear thoughts. My first try is for Juggernaut. Tell me what you think.

s t i c k y
JUGGERNAUT
Last edited by Demongg on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-kev-

"With great power..."

Malthusian
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Malthusian » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:58 pm

I have to say:

"That ROCKS so hard!"

Honestly, I love it. Very distinctive look. Now, let's see your Sticks of, say, Batman and, oh, I don't know, um... Blue Devil? Yeah, that's the ticket.

-Malthusian

Beleriphon
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Beleriphon » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:33 pm

Thats really cool, different style but still very stick figurish.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:38 pm

It's very cool Kevin. Not really a stick figure persay but definitely a cool style I'd like to see more examples of.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

White Howler
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby White Howler » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:49 pm

I sure do like that style of stick fig. Ya wanna do a Powergirl? :wink:

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:53 pm

Malthusian wrote:I have to say:

"That ROCKS so hard!"

Honestly, I love it. Very distinctive look. Now, let's see your Sticks of, say, Batman and, oh, I don't know, um... Blue Devil? Yeah, that's the ticket.

-Malthusian

wow... thanks Malthusian.
I don't have much time these days but I'll try and get Batman and a Blue Devil for you sometime.

I was really just testing myself with Juggy... I've never done that style before. I'm glad you like it.

Beleriphon wrote:Thats really cool, different style but still very stick figurish.

farik wrote:It's very cool Kevin. Not really a stick figure persay but definitely a cool style I'd like to see more examples of.

Thanks guys!
Yeah - I was about half-way done with it and said "that's not very sticky-ish... but I did it pretty much like Beleriphon suggest he worked. Too much detail you think??

I'll try and get another couple examples done soon... I have homework for the first time in like a decade due early this week though, so it might take some time.

any suggestions are welcome.
-kev-

"With great power..."

Beleriphon
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Beleriphon » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:04 pm

Demongg wrote:Yeah - I was about half-way done with it and said "that's not very sticky-ish... but I did it pretty much like Beleriphon suggest he worked. Too much detail you think??

I'll try and get another couple examples done soon... I have homework for the first time in like a decade due early this week though, so it might take some time.

any suggestions are welcome.

No, thats a good level of detail. Its not too much, but it leaves the character identifiable.

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:05 am

White Howler wrote:I sure do like that style of stick fig. Ya wanna do a Powergirl? :wink:

Don't know why but I decided to go after Powergirl right away... I guess I wanted to try something softer. :)

Tell me what you think... I'm still unsure if I'm simplifying them enough. Obviously I wanted to get the character's "primary assets" (not being crude just true to the character) but that made it hard for me to imagine how to get away with Kara's torso and making a nice head/face... Juggy was easy as he is basically a buncha blocks...
Her face isn't as "cartoony" as I did with Juggy's - maybe that would help... possibly taking away her shoulders to make them sticks... I was also thinking of streamlining her cape and pointing it straight down. I dunno I'm still experimenting.
Let me know if you have any ideas for that...
for now:

s t i c k y
POWERGIRL
-kev-

"With great power..."

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:20 am

First of all it isn't the detail that sets your Juggernaut apart from more traditional stick figures it's the depth, it looks more 3-Dynamic.

You Power Girl doesn't capture that same element I think there are 2 primary reasons.

1. Her white cotume blends too well with the background so her stcik legs look like a curvey fish tail rather than 2 limbs.

2. The soft lines of the chest and face seem out of proportion due to the line wieght relative to the other outlines. I think "toonifying" her features would probably help with that.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

El Humidor
Paragon
Paragon

Postby El Humidor » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:12 am

White Howler wrote:I sure do like that style of stick fig. Ya wanna do a Powergirl? :wink:

Wait, what was the question again?

Very cool pics, Demongg.
It is no the heat, it is EL HUMIDOR!!

White Howler
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby White Howler » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:45 am

Now suger that sticky powergirl looks really fun. Thank ya darlin' I like it an I'll keep an eye out incase ya update her ;) an I wanna see whats next.

EL Humidor be have darlin'. :D

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:55 am

farik wrote:First of all it isn't the detail that sets your Juggernaut apart from more traditional stick figures it's the depth, it looks more 3-Dynamic.

You Power Girl doesn't capture that same element I think there are 2 primary reasons.

1. Her white cotume blends too well with the background so her stcik legs look like a curvey fish tail rather than 2 limbs.

2. The soft lines of the chest and face seem out of proportion due to the line wieght relative to the other outlines. I think "toonifying" her features would probably help with that.

Good call on the depth of Juggy... I just makem.

I was gonna go with a "punching" pose for Kara but wanted to try that fly up in the air look. I might go with bending her right knee to go away from the "fishtail"... :)
Perhaps putting the color of her cape behind her would pop the white costume.

I'll probably redo the face sometime this week, making it more toony like Juggernaut...

I think I'm gonna try a Dark Knight Batman next.

thanks for the feedback.
-kev-

"With great power..."

White Howler
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby White Howler » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:06 pm

Ok suger keep it up I really like your toonish heroes. I think your doin' a great job an any an all powergirl pics ya do will gleefully go inta my powergirl folder. :D I'd also like ta see Nightwing an tha Teen Titans, :wink:

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:30 pm

White Howler wrote:Ok suger keep it up I really like your toonish heroes. I think your doin' a great job an any an all powergirl pics ya do will gleefully go inta my powergirl folder. :D I'd also like ta see Nightwing an tha Teen Titans, :wink:

I dig the Grayson Nighwing/Robin, good idea...
Thanks for the encouragement. I know I just gotta get the style down pat before it comes into it's own. :)
Last edited by Demongg on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-kev-

"With great power..."

Return to “Drawing Board”