Improved Throw, Acrobatics

Ask M&M 2e rules questions that your fellow gamers can't answer. Only Mutants & Masterminds Line Developer (and creator) Steve Kenson can post replies. He visits the boards in between projects and convention appearances so please be patient!
Elric
Overlord
Overlord

Improved Throw, Acrobatics

Postby Elric » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:28 pm

Hi Steve,

1) For the purposes of being tripped (and things like Improved Throw and the Opposed by Dexterity/Strength modifiers in Ultimate Power) should Acrobatics be considered just a “more skilled” form of Dexterity that replaces your normal Dexterity bonus to avoid being tripped?

2) You have given inconsistent answers about how the Improved Throw feat works.

In responding to Paragon (he calls this Improved Trip, but it’s Improved Throw), here, you say that the Improved Throw feat forces the target to use the lower of their Strength and Dexterity modifiers; the person with Improved Throw making the trip attempt doesn’t have to specify something like “I’m making him resist with Strength”

However, in responding to Victim here, your response implies that the attacker has to pick for the defender to resist with either Strength or Dexterity.

A) I presume, based on the text of the Improved Trip (which should really be Improved Throw) power feat in Ultimate Power that your answer to Paragon is correct and your answer to Victim is incorrect.

Ultimate Power wrote:Improved Trip: Targets of your Trip effect use the worse of Strength or Dexterity to resist it. This is just like the regular Improved Trip feat, but as a power feat.

Do I have this right?

B) Assuming the answer to Paragon is correct, then if a character has 30 Strength (+10 Str bonus), 18 Dexterity (+4 Dex bonus), and 12 ranks in Acrobatics (for a +16 Acrobatics bonus), what modifier does the character use to resist a Trip attack that has Improved Throw?
3e Builds, 2e Builds, Index of 2e Official Rules Answers & General Resources (includes character creation and fight examples)

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Re: Improved Throw, Acrobatics

Postby Steve Kenson » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:21 pm

Elric wrote:1) For the purposes of being tripped (and things like Improved Throw and the Opposed by Dexterity/Strength modifiers in Ultimate Power) should Acrobatics be considered just a “more skilled” form of Dexterity that replaces your normal Dexterity bonus to avoid being tripped?

Yes.

2) You have given inconsistent answers about how the Improved Throw feat works.

In responding to Paragon (he calls this Improved Trip, but it’s Improved Throw), here, you say that the Improved Throw feat forces the target to use the lower of their Strength and Dexterity modifiers; the person with Improved Throw making the trip attempt doesn’t have to specify something like “I’m making him resist with Strength”

However, in responding to Victim here, your response implies that the attacker has to pick for the defender to resist with either Strength or Dexterity.

A) I presume, based on the text of the Improved Trip (which should really be Improved Throw) power feat in Ultimate Power that your answer to Paragon is correct and your answer to Victim is incorrect.

Do I have this right?

You do.

B) Assuming the answer to Paragon is correct, then if a character has 30 Strength (+10 Str bonus), 18 Dexterity (+4 Dex bonus), and 12 ranks in Acrobatics (for a +16 Acrobatics bonus), what modifier does the character use to resist a Trip attack that has Improved Throw?

Strength bonus, as it is the lower of the pair (trained Acrobatics trumps base Dex in this case).
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing

Return to “Official Rules Questions (Second Edition)”