Tradeoff questions

Ask M&M 2e rules questions that your fellow gamers can't answer. Only Mutants & Masterminds Line Developer (and creator) Steve Kenson can post replies. He visits the boards in between projects and convention appearances so please be patient!
scc
Zealot
Zealot

Tradeoff questions

Postby scc » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:04 pm

1)Can you do a tradeoff within a power. Drain for instance. Can you have a fortitude save of +12(22 total save) with a drain effect of 8 for a power that is considered a pl 10 power?

2)Skill ranks are a little tricky. For instance somebody with average charisma(10) but is a really good liar with a skill rank of 18 would be considered a PL13 character. However if you had high charisma(22) with 12 in bluff for a total of 18 you would only be considered a PL7 character based on skills. I know a PL10 character can have a skill total of +30 based on abilities and skill ranks. So when figuring out power level should I consider the max skill total they should have or just base it on the skill ranks. Or should I just give them enhanced skill(charisma) limited to bluff. Just trying to figure out the best course to go.

3)I imagine modifiers from growth on intimidate don't figure into power level. Am I correct?

4)What about really limited powers. Like protection that only protects against fire or acid. Or strike abilities that are limited to foes that are smaller than you. Would you count the total rank against the power level? I know on certain feats like sneak attack you mentioned on the first rank of sneak attack only count half the damage bonus towards power level since it does not come up that often.

Thanks for the help. Sorry about the double post. I did get some answers in the official forum but I am still curious on what you think.

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Re: Tradeoff questions

Postby Steve Kenson » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:28 pm

scc wrote:1)Can you do a tradeoff within a power. Drain for instance. Can you have a fortitude save of +12(22 total save) with a drain effect of 8 for a power that is considered a pl 10 power?

Not according to the letter of the rules, although a GM can permit such a trade-off if it suits his or her game.

2)Skill ranks are a little tricky. For instance somebody with average charisma(10) but is a really good liar with a skill rank of 18 would be considered a PL13 character. However if you had high charisma(22) with 12 in bluff for a total of 18 you would only be considered a PL7 character based on skills. I know a PL10 character can have a skill total of +30 based on abilities and skill ranks. So when figuring out power level should I consider the max skill total they should have or just base it on the skill ranks. Or should I just give them enhanced skill(charisma) limited to bluff. Just trying to figure out the best course to go.

A variant to address the issue of balancing skill ranks is to limit skill bonus by power level to a maximum of [(power level x 2) + 10] whether the bonus comes from abilities or skill ranks. This technically allows characters with lower ability modifiers to have higher ranks in skills before they reach the PL limit.

3)I imagine modifiers from growth on intimidate don't figure into power level. Am I correct?

Yes. It's something of a corner-case that doesn't really factor in.

4)What about really limited powers. Like protection that only protects against fire or acid. Or strike abilities that are limited to foes that are smaller than you. Would you count the total rank against the power level? I know on certain feats like sneak attack you mentioned on the first rank of sneak attack only count half the damage bonus towards power level since it does not come up that often.

These are areas where the GM may want to show some flexibility in terms of enforcing the power level, given the limited nature of the power(s) in question. It's certainly one where I'm inclined to do so, but individual game styles vary.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing

Return to “Official Rules Questions (Second Edition)”