Summon as an AP

Ask M&M 2e rules questions that your fellow gamers can't answer. Only Mutants & Masterminds Line Developer (and creator) Steve Kenson can post replies. He visits the boards in between projects and convention appearances so please be patient!
Stone Cold Gargoyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Summon as an AP

Postby Stone Cold Gargoyle » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:40 pm

If I take Summon [Minion] as an AP (default duration Sustained), then the summoned minion goes bye-bye when I swap to a different AP, right? (Like, say, Mystic Blast). Does the minion stick around if I upped the duration to Continuous?

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Re: Summon as an AP

Postby Steve Kenson » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Stone Cold Gargoyle wrote:If I take Summon [Minion] as an AP (default duration Sustained), then the summoned minion goes bye-bye when I swap to a different AP, right? (Like, say, Mystic Blast). Does the minion stick around if I upped the duration to Continuous?

Yes, if you swap out a Sustained Summon effect in an array, the summoned minion(s) go away.

Whether or not this is the case with a Continuous Summon effect is somewhat open to interpretation: technically, the minions should still vanish, or at least the character should be unable to command them, without access to the original Summon power. However, some GMs may choose to overlook this for certain Summon powers and descriptors, in particular NPC summoners who use the power solely to call up some more minions for the heroes to fight.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing

Return to “Official Rules Questions (Second Edition)”