Increasing the Alternate Power

Ask M&M 2e rules questions that your fellow gamers can't answer. Only Mutants & Masterminds Line Developer (and creator) Steve Kenson can post replies. He visits the boards in between projects and convention appearances so please be patient!
Lissilambe
Groupie
Groupie

Increasing the Alternate Power

Postby Lissilambe » Wed May 14, 2008 2:59 pm

Okay, I've searched and looked over the FAQ and found no answer to this so I hope I'm not repeating something you're tired of hearing asked.

I understand that when you raise the base power, the alternate powers increase by the same number of points. But what if the base power is maxed out by the cap? What can be done to increase alternate powers that might not be at the PL maximum?

Example: A character has the Strike power at the PL cap for the campaign. One alternate power is Paralyze, and it's at below the PL cap. The player can't spend points into the Strike power, so how can the player increase the ranks of the Paralyze? Is the only option to split the power off from the array?

Thanks in advance.

Take care
Don

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Re: Increasing the Alternate Power

Postby Steve Kenson » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:52 pm

Lissilambe wrote:I understand that when you raise the base power, the alternate powers increase by the same number of points. But what if the base power is maxed out by the cap? What can be done to increase alternate powers that might not be at the PL maximum?

Practically? Nothing.

However, an agreeable GM may permit the player to swap out the base power of the array, making it something not at or limited by the PL limit so it (and the other applicable powers in the array) can be increased. In this case, powers in the array at the campaign's PL limits don't benefit from the increase (because it's prohibited).

Example: A character has the Strike power at the PL cap for the campaign. One alternate power is Paralyze, and it's at below the PL cap. The player can't spend points into the Strike power, so how can the player increase the ranks of the Paralyze?

In this example, the GM might allow the player to make Paralyze the base power and Strike an Alternate Power, increasing Paralyze (and any other suitable APs) but not increasing Strike, since it's at its limit already.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing

Return to “Official Rules Questions (Second Edition)”