What is a "Machine"?

Ask M&M 2e rules questions that your fellow gamers can't answer. Only Mutants & Masterminds Line Developer (and creator) Steve Kenson can post replies. He visits the boards in between projects and convention appearances so please be patient!
Lordhat
Bystander
Bystander

What is a "Machine"?

Post by Lordhat » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:02 pm

I posted this question in the Rules Forum for other players to answer, and got a couple good responses; However the topic degraded into a purely mechanical dissection of the power itself. Now I'm posting it here, as I want to see what the "Designer's Intent" was for this particular power.

"What do you define as a machine in your games? At the most literal basic definition of the word, a see-saw or lever is a machine.....

For the purposes of the game I run, a machine is any mechanical or electronic device which, once initiated, will continue to operate and/or perform it's intended function, without further manipulation, until it's fuel or power is drained. However the player in my group who chose this power argues that a gun should considered a machine due to the above definition. (At the time I let him fire the gun from a distance, but not aim or "wield" it.)

How would you rule on this? Is a gun a machine in the context of M&M, specifically the Machine Control power?"

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Re: What is a "Machine"?

Post by Steve Kenson » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:34 pm

Lordhat wrote:For the purposes of the game I run, a machine is any mechanical or electronic device which, once initiated, will continue to operate and/or perform it's intended function, without further manipulation, until it's fuel or power is drained.
That's a pretty decent rule of thumb, I'd say. As to whether or not a gun or simple level qualifies as a "machine" for Machine Control, I'd say it depends a great deal on the descriptors, but generally speaking, you are talking about self-powered machines.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing