Granting Others Flight

Ask M&M 2e rules questions that your fellow gamers can't answer. Only Mutants & Masterminds Line Developer (and creator) Steve Kenson can post replies. He visits the boards in between projects and convention appearances so please be patient!
Freedomwatcher
Bystander
Bystander

Granting Others Flight

Post by Freedomwatcher » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:42 am

The Scenario:
I was in a game recently where my character (a Master Mage) granted the entire party Flight 6. He has Flight 6 (Affects Others, Progression x2) so we know he can affect all the targets.

The Problem:
He did it in a single action. We had forgotten that Affects Others still requires you to touch your target. There's no way he could have touched all the party members in a single action.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out, rules-wise, how such an affect could be accomplished

Solutions I came up with:
1) Giving it the Ranged modifier. But that doesn't account for him being able to affect the entire party at once.

2) Using a combination of the Area modifier with the Selective power feat.

I like the second solution best, however...

That still leaves the following question:
If the Flight power has the Affects Others and Area (burst) extras, does it still need the Progression power feat to affect 5 people at once? Or does Area (burst) extra obviate the need for the Progression feat?

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Re: Granting Others Flight

Post by Steve Kenson » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:59 pm

Freedomwatcher wrote:If the Flight power has the Affects Others and Area (burst) extras, does it still need the Progression power feat to affect 5 people at once?
Yes. The Area extra just lets him affect those five people all at once, rather than granting them the power one at a time. Think of it like the Horde extra for Summon, which lets you summon all your minions (gained from Progression) all at once, but doesn't obviate the need for Progression to have more minions.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing