Grappling and big size differences

Ask M&M 2e rules questions that your fellow gamers can't answer. Only Mutants & Masterminds Line Developer (and creator) Steve Kenson can post replies. He visits the boards in between projects and convention appearances so please be patient!
Scholz
Firebrand
Firebrand

Grappling and big size differences

Post by Scholz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:31 pm

I understand the basic grappling rules. But I was wondering about a special situation. Suppose the goal of the grappler (in this case a much smaller one than her opponent) wishes just to hold on, or even 'land on' her opponent?

ex. The Fly (miniscule) wants to land on the shoulder of Captain Honey (medium). Does the Fly need to make a grapple check (or maybe just a touch attack)? What if he wants to land on Titan (Colossal) Any difference?

Would this give the character some cover or concealment bonus for being on the body of their opponent?

What if the opponent wanted to 'remove' said person? What resolution is appropriate?
Are you seriously telling me that "I see your forcefield protects you from that!" is the only thing you know how to say in English?
http://www.academyadventures.blogspot.com/

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Post by Steve Kenson » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:48 am

Just alighting on a much larger opponent is probably just a melee touch attack rather than a grapple per se, since a grapple is intended to restrain the target in some fashion.

Likewise, getting rid of such a "passenger" is also probably a melee attack, either to "swat" them (hopefully stunning them and causing them to fall off) or using knockback to "brush" them off and send them flying.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing