Questions About the Equipment Feat

Ask M&M 2e rules questions that your fellow gamers can't answer. Only Mutants & Masterminds Line Developer (and creator) Steve Kenson can post replies. He visits the boards in between projects and convention appearances so please be patient!
Saint Xanatos
Bystander
Bystander

Questions About the Equipment Feat

Post by Saint Xanatos » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:23 pm

Hey all you heroes out there! This is my first time posting, so I hope I get everything right. I just picked up the M&M (2e) Handbook for the first time, and I had a few questions about the equipment feat.

1.) First of all, I can't see how the math works out with the Costumed Adventurer on page 18. His stats say he has 4 points in Equipment, which would give him 20 points to spend. But every time I add it up, I get 17.

Check it out:
Commlink=1 pp
Costume (Protection 2)=2 pp
Grapple Gun (Super Movement--Swinging 1)=2 pp
Flash Bangs (Dazzle 3, V/A)=9 pp
-Alternate Powers:
--Boomerangs=1 pp
--Smoke Bombs (Obscure 4, V)=1 pp
--Stun Grenades (Stun 3)=1 pp

Doubtless I'm doing something wrong with those alternate powers, but I can't figure it out.

2.) On page 137, the utility belt is described. Presumably, 25 pp are required. The math works out here, no worries. But Explosives are given a value of 15 pp, where everything else is given as one. Is that because Explosives are the most expensive, and the others are alternate powers (because you can't have a more expensive power as an alternate)?

Thanks in advance,
Saint Xanatos

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Re: Questions About the Equipment Feat

Post by Steve Kenson » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:52 pm

Saint Xanatos wrote:On page 137, the utility belt is described. Presumably, 25 pp are required. The math works out here, no worries. But Explosives are given a value of 15 pp, where everything else is given as one. Is that because Explosives are the most expensive, and the others are alternate powers (because you can't have a more expensive power as an alternate)?
Yes.

As for the Costumed Adventurer, he might have a few equipment points left over.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing