Toughness Save Totals

Ask M&M 2e rules questions that your fellow gamers can't answer. Only Mutants & Masterminds Line Developer (and creator) Steve Kenson can post replies. He visits the boards in between projects and convention appearances so please be patient!
scotley
Bystander
Bystander

Toughness Save Totals

Postby scotley » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:32 pm

We are playing a M&M campaign, and our power level is currently at 8. In the 2nd Edition book, it says on page 24 "Toughness Save: Your hero's total Toughness saving throw modifier cannot exceed the campaign's power level."

My question is, does this mean that our total toughness value can only be +8? Meaning, that if I have +1 from my Con and also have a Force Field or Protection power rank 8 (which would equal +9), would I still only be able to have a Toughness of just +8, or would I be able to benifit from the Con's +1 to make my total Toughness save a +9?

I've been loooking at several of the sample characters in that book, plus the M&M Instant Superheroes, and I notice that they are at power level 10, and some of them have Protection or Force Field level 10, plus their Con bonus, that brings their total Toughness Save to over +10, which is the power level.

There is some confusion in our group, and I was hoping to get some help from here to clarify.

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Postby Steve Kenson » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:21 pm

You want the Attack/Defense Trade-Off section on page 24. That should clarify things.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing

Return to “Official Rules Questions (Second Edition)”