Autofire/Power Attack, Grapple, Damage, & Gadgets

Ask M&M 2e rules questions that your fellow gamers can't answer. Only Mutants & Masterminds Line Developer (and creator) Steve Kenson can post replies. He visits the boards in between projects and convention appearances so please be patient!
Cyclone
Collaborator
Collaborator

Autofire/Power Attack, Grapple, Damage, & Gadgets

Postby Cyclone » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:07 pm

This is my first post to the Official Rules Questions Forum (I think), so I figure I'll get all my questions answered all at once.

1) How does Autofire interact with Power Attack (or Accurate Attack, for that matter)? Say a character has Blast 5 (Autofire) and Power Attacks for 5. What is his maximum total damage?
A)+13 (+5 Blast +5 Power Attack +3 maximum from Autofire calculated from the Blast's actual rank)?
B)+15 (+5 Blast +5 Power Attack +5 maximum from Autofire calculated at the damage of this specific attack, including Power Attack)?

2) You stated here that Attack Specialization (grapple) would be its own feat and only applies to the grapple check itself. Since that establishes that Attack Specialization (a feat) can apply to grapple checks, would Attack Focus (melee) apply to grapple checks as well?

3) This one I'm pretty sure I'm right on, but I just want confirmation. A character failing a Toughness save by 10 or more does not suffer a Bruised or Injured effect from that attack, correct?

4) Gadgets is listed as having a different cost per rank based on whether it is hard to lose or easy to lose, just like Device. Is that in reference to losing a specific effect or the entire array? In other words, would a Batman-style utility belt be considered hard to lose (because he'd have to be helpless before the belt could be taken from him) or easy to lose (because whatever he pulls out of it can be taken with a disarm action)?
"When they ran out of ships, they used guns. When they ran out of guns, they used knives and sticks and their bare hands. They were magnificent."

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Re: Autofire/Power Attack, Grapple, Damage, & Gadgets

Postby Steve Kenson » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:10 pm

Cyclone wrote:1) How does Autofire interact with Power Attack (or Accurate Attack, for that matter)? Say a character has Blast 5 (Autofire) and Power Attacks for 5. What is his maximum total damage?
A)+13 (+5 Blast +5 Power Attack +3 maximum from Autofire calculated from the Blast's actual rank)?
B)+15 (+5 Blast +5 Power Attack +5 maximum from Autofire calculated at the damage of this specific attack, including Power Attack)?

Autofire says half the attacks "normal bonus". This means ignoring modifiers from feats such as Power Attack, so A is correct.

2) You stated here that Attack Specialization (grapple) would be its own feat and only applies to the grapple check itself. Since that establishes that Attack Specialization (a feat) can apply to grapple checks, would Attack Focus (melee) apply to grapple checks as well?

Yes.

3) This one I'm pretty sure I'm right on, but I just want confirmation. A character failing a Toughness save by 10 or more does not suffer a Bruised or Injured effect from that attack, correct?

Correct.

4) Gadgets is listed as having a different cost per rank based on whether it is hard to lose or easy to lose, just like Device. Is that in reference to losing a specific effect or the entire array? In other words, would a Batman-style utility belt be considered hard to lose (because he'd have to be helpless before the belt could be taken from him) or easy to lose (because whatever he pulls out of it can be taken with a disarm action)?

It generally tends to refer to the entire power, but there's some room for interpretation, depending on descriptors and the specific configuration of the Variable Effect.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing

Return to “Official Rules Questions (Second Edition)”