Follow-up on Evasion

Ask M&M 2e rules questions that your fellow gamers can't answer. Only Mutants & Masterminds Line Developer (and creator) Steve Kenson can post replies. He visits the boards in between projects and convention appearances so please be patient!
Elric
Overlord
Overlord

Follow-up on Evasion

Postby Elric » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:20 pm

Hi Steve,
In your answer here, you indicate that Evasion should only work by default on damage dealing attacks and anything else would be in the vein of a house rule.

You're The Man, but I think that's not a correct interpretation. It's true that the Evasion feat refers to damage instead of ranks. However, the Area Attack sections of core and UP both mention that if you make a Reflex save for half effect against an Area Attack and have the Evasion feat you suffer no effect against the Area Attack, instead of just halving the rank (see page 160 in core and page 97 in Ultimate Power).

So I think that the Evasion feat itself was just a typo where you ported the wording of Evasion too closely from D&D, and Evasion should have errata clarifying that it works against all Area Attacks. The alternative is that the wording on the Evasion feat was correct, and that the Area Attack sections in UP and core are both wrong in their discussions of Evasion and those sections should have errata. Which one is it? Thanks.
3e Builds, 2e Builds, Index of 2e Official Rules Answers & General Resources (includes character creation and fight examples)

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Postby Steve Kenson » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:53 am

As I said, I apply Evasion to all area attacks, and that has always been my understanding of how it works. I was replying to the strict reading of the feat description, which does specify "damage". It probably should be updated to read "effect" instead.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing

Return to “Official Rules Questions (Second Edition)”