Question about Evasion

Ask M&M 2e rules questions that your fellow gamers can't answer. Only Mutants & Masterminds Line Developer (and creator) Steve Kenson can post replies. He visits the boards in between projects and convention appearances so please be patient!
heridfel
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Question about Evasion

Postby heridfel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:29 pm

Hello,
One of the threads in the general 2e rules section was discussing ways to counter the effects of Evasion. When I was looking up the feat for my response, I noticed something that stood out to me.

Evasion, as written in the rule book, affects area effects which do damage, reducing them to no damage on a successful Reflex save (and half damage on a failed save with two ranks).

In one of your other posts, you indicated that Evasion would have an effect against Gravity Control. However, Gravity Control doesn't do damage, and it doesn't have a save DC.

Should Evasion be read as "ignore the effects of an area power on a successful save" and Evasion 2 be read as "ignore an area power on a successful save, and half effect of the power even on a failed save"?

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Postby Steve Kenson » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:36 am

I treat them as such, but by a strict reading of the feat, it does specify damage-causing effects, so you're certainly justified in limiting it to only damage and not other sorts of area effects. I'd say my application of it to other effects is more in the nature of a house-rule. Use the option you prefer.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing

Return to “Official Rules Questions (Second Edition)”