Emotion Control - UP Clarification

Ask M&M 2e rules questions that your fellow gamers can't answer. Only Mutants & Masterminds Line Developer (and creator) Steve Kenson can post replies. He visits the boards in between projects and convention appearances so please be patient!
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Emotion Control - UP Clarification

Post by FuzzyBoots » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:58 pm

I posted this in the Ultimate Power errata thread but it's coming up for a future game, so I thought I would post here, hoping I could get an official clarification.

In Ultimate Power, Emotion Control (p. 46) says at the top of the entry (presumably for any form of control) that "Failure by 10 or more means the target will not take any hostile action unless attacked." The entries under Despair, Fear, and Love have their own effects under "failure by 10", namely "unable to take actions", "panic / fleeing", and "fanatical devotion". The 2E M&M Manual description (p. 84) includes all but that top entry. As it stands now, it sounds like if you radiate love, people become fanatical but unable to attack. Is that top line supposed to be the "fail by 10" for Calm perhaps (especially since Calm currently does nothing but counter other emotions)?

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Re: Emotion Control - UP Clarification

Post by Steve Kenson » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:53 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:Is that top line supposed to be the "fail by 10" for Calm perhaps (especially since Calm currently does nothing but counter other emotions)?
It is, in fact. That line should go with the Calm effect. As you note, other emotions have their own effects for failing the save by 10 or more.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing