Iron Age Ninja, Sneak Attack and Power Level Limits

Ask M&M 2e rules questions that your fellow gamers can't answer. Only Mutants & Masterminds Line Developer (and creator) Steve Kenson can post replies. He visits the boards in between projects and convention appearances so please be patient!
Khantalas
Zealot
Zealot

Iron Age Ninja, Sneak Attack and Power Level Limits

Post by Khantalas » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:57 am

The Ninja archetype from Iron Age has PL 10, +12 attack bonus with all weapons given, +8 damage with katana and +5 sneak attack. All together puts him at an offensive PL of 13, at the very least. Is Sneak Attack assumed to be ignored when it comes to PL limits due to being a conditional modifier or is there something else I'm missing here?

Thank you in advance.
"I once had lots of friends. They gave me gifts like a word that means hope and despair at the same time and sands to season meals and a castle made out of nothing but stories. I wonder where I left them?"

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Post by Steve Kenson » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:51 am

No, Sneak Attack should be taken into consideration, and the archetype should have come with a note that it bends power level limits slightly, should the GM wish to limit that.

Strictly speaking, the archetype should drop some attack or damage bonus to fit into the PL limits, only being at "full power" when making Sneak Attacks, although that makes the character less effective overall. It was a judgment call to permit the combination, and I don't think it's particularly unbalanced.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing