Drain Questions

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Guyon
Bystander
Bystander

Drain Questions

Postby Guyon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:21 am

Drain rules say: "You must touch the target, making a normal melee attack roll, and the target makes a Fortitude save. If the save fails, each rank of Drain removes 1 power point from the
affected trait."

Situation: You are in an arm wrestling contest for charity, and the opponent used Drain(Strength) to cheat:

Q1: Would you fogo the Attack roll since you are already making contact?

Q2: I Understand that the FORTITUDE SAVE would be D20+ Fort Bonus VS 10+Darin Rank. If i wanted to make the Drain a little tougher and work for the full contest only work against Strength would I Buy Drain 6 [Slow Fade (+6), FLaw: Limited- Strength only (-1).

Q3: I had spend 6 points to make Slow Fade last 1 hour. By the same logic would "Flaw: Limited- Strength only" give me a (-5) since I took it down 5 Ranks in abilities? I only want Drain to have a greater chance to hit not make it drain more abilities.

Thanks

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Drain Questions

Postby kenseido » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:08 pm

Q1: Yes, but unless you have Subtle, the power will be quite noticable.

Q2: Since you are only draining Strength, the slow fade only applies to that already; so the limitation is invalid.

Q3: Slow Fade is how long they wait for 1pp to come back, not the whole thing. Drain returns 1pp/round normally, Slow Fade changes that to 1pp per whatever time increment you buy it up to. You can probably just buy Slow Fade 1 (1 minute) and keep them from gaining it back before the match is over.

Also, since Drain takes a Standard action, you would be at risk of losing significant ground - if not the entire match - the round you used it, since you would be using the power and not applying your Strength. You could, of course, use Extra effort to get an additional action that round; or you could buy down the action of the Drain to Move or better.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Guyon
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Guyon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:20 pm

kenseido wrote:Q1: Yes, but unless you have Subtle, the power will be quite noticable.

Q2: Since you are only draining Strength, the slow fade only applies to that already; so the limitation is invalid.

Q3: Slow Fade is how long they wait for 1pp to come back, not the whole thing. Drain returns 1pp/round normally, Slow Fade changes that to 1pp per whatever time increment you buy it up to. You can probably just buy Slow Fade 1 (1 minute) and keep them from gaining it back before the match is over.

Also, since Drain takes a Standard action, you would be at risk of losing significant ground - if not the entire match - the round you used it, since you would be using the power and not applying your Strength. You could, of course, use Extra effort to get an additional action that round; or you could buy down the action of the Drain to Move or better.

@kenseido Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am new to the game and still have a few questions. Though the reason that I want Slow Fade to last more time is there will be a brawl and the villain wants the hero weakened.

Regarding Q2: the "Flaw: Limited- Strength only (-1)" is on Drain5, so that it only works on Strength, The Flaw is not on Slow Fade. I thought that Drain5 works on all traits, which is why I added the Flaw.

Regarding Q3: As stated above I want the Drain to last, but back to my original question. Can I get more than a (-1)Flaw on the Drain because I am only Draining Strength with with a Rank 5? Or is there a cheaper way to make a Strength Drain than just buying Ranks in Drain?

TY

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:15 am

There is a specific drain cost for targeting one specific attribute only (in this case strength) - not surprisingly, its the lowest cost (1 point per rank).

Guyon
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Guyon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:47 am

Got it. Thanks guys

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:13 pm

On a side note, the other option available to you is converting the Drain to an Aura so that it's happening automatically with skin contact when the aura is on. Costly, but effective for a grappler.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”