House Rules?

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Xyvoln Sylvadrak
Bystander
Bystander

House Rules?

Postby Xyvoln Sylvadrak » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:20 pm

We all know the old adage "you're not really playing until you've house-ruled that game".

I'm curious: what house rules do you use in your M&M games?

Examples from games I've run:

* Fantasy games on the silver piece standard (more realistic to the Medieval theme than having rivers of gold everywhere).

* Not worrying about power level limits during the course of play (if the players are cunning enough to get their hands on Baron von Doomkrieger's Thule-Ray, and figure out how to work it without destroying it or themselves in the process, they're entitled to get at least a few shots off for their trouble).

* Knowledge (Technology) can substitute for the Computers skill to operate all sorts of devices and machinery (it's kinda redundant that they're 2 separate skills, considering the overlap in real life).

* Proficiency is determined by character background (soldier trained w/ assault rifle, farmboy knows how to use a shotgun, knight familiar w/ swords & lances, etc).
Picking up an unfamiliar weapon means -4 to hit (or armor penalties for armor). It takes 1 month (4 7-day weeks) to gain proficiency. After each week of regular use (minimum 10 hours per week), reduce penalty by 1 and eventually negate it.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: House Rules?

Postby kenseido » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:21 am

Here are my House Rules. As I noted, I started with the Freedom City Play by Post house rules, and added and subtracted from there.

And then there is my whole psychotic mess of grappling rules. Even I think they are crazy; I just can't decide on anything better.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

XLS
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby XLS » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:08 am

I try to go by the book usually in my limited gaming, but I understand that Grapple is broken.

ATT legend Elric posted some of his house rules which are worth considering.

rando1000
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby rando1000 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:55 pm

I've houseruled the heck out of combat until it's 2/3 M&M and 1/3 Pathfinder. I use CMB/CMD from Pathfinder for maneuvers, Hit Points for damage (but not the Mastermind Manual HP rules, which I don't care for), and quite a few modifications to Feats (new Feats, unavailable Feats, modified Feats), mostly due to the combat changes.

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:20 pm

rando1000:

How do you use HP?

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”