"Perception Filter" Power Advice (2e)

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
TheComet
Comrade
Comrade

"Perception Filter" Power Advice (2e)

Postby TheComet » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:52 pm

I've had a player make a character with the ability to make anyone who sees him forget they did so.

Here's the basics:

Mental Transform 1 (1/rank), Perception Range (+1/rank), Continuous Duration (+1/rank), Sense Dependent (Sight) (-1/rank) = 2 pts per rank.

Now... should we also add a Limitation that restricts the Mental Transform to *only* forgetting his presence? As it stands right now, it seem that he'd be able to make any alterations to a target's memories.

I'm thinking we should add the Limitation, which means the player gets 10 points back.
Organic material taken form the core of Halley's Comet in 1987, seeded into a humanoid form and given sentience: she is THE COMET!

Tholomyes
Groupie
Groupie

Re: "Perception Filter" Power Advice (2e)

Postby Tholomyes » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:01 pm

I think that the limitation is warranted, but I also agree with the change from Ultimate Power, which updated the cost for mental transform to 2/3/4 per rank instead of 1/2/3, meaning the point-cost is unchanged.

TheComet
Comrade
Comrade

Postby TheComet » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Thanks!

I don't have UP yet, but I plan to get the PDF ASAP.
Organic material taken form the core of Halley's Comet in 1987, seeded into a humanoid form and given sentience: she is THE COMET!

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:53 am

There was a discussion on this type of power before I recall: here it is!

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:13 am

TheComet wrote:
Mental Transform 1 (1/rank), Perception Range (+1/rank), Continuous Duration (+1/rank), Sense Dependent (Sight) (-1/rank) = 2 pts per rank.

Now... should we also add a Limitation that restricts the Mental Transform to *only* forgetting his presence? As it stands right now, it seem that he'd be able to make any alterations to a target's memories.

I would agree that the only forgetting is a limitation. That more than meets my rule of thumb, that a limitation should make a power about half as useful.

However, regarding the sense dependent (Sight): Does your player want a guard who "heard something" forget the noise while he is looking into it? Would a person with olfactory powers remember his scent? If he wants people who only saw (as in using their eyes) him forget him than sense dependent might be appropriate. If he wants those using other forms of perception to forget, it may not be appropriate.

Also is it merely that they forget what he looks like or do they forget having seen anyone?

TheComet
Comrade
Comrade

Postby TheComet » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Thanks for the replies! I know I'm edition behind, but on a limited budget ya gotta use what you have. :)

We've already decided to drop the perception range/sense dependent thing.

Basically, the power he wants is to have people never even realize he's there in the first place, and not remember him at all after he leaves.

Using Mental Transform was my original suggestion, but the more I tinker with it the more it seems like a long way round to just get what Concealment does.

I'm now thinking that Concealment is the way to go, since his power essentially makes him invisible.

I suggested adding a Will save to the Concealment power, and reducing it to a reaction. If someone encounters him, the have to make a Will save (DC 10 + rank) or just not realize he's there, even if they're looking right at him. He doesn't like that, I think because it allows a Notice roll to pinpoint him.

We're still working on it, and hashing out the details.

Tholomyes
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Tholomyes » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:41 pm

In that case, Concealment is probably better. While not RAW, you could alternatively say they don't get a notice check, and only get a Will save, as a variation on the +0 Alternate Resistance extra.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:33 pm

Yeah, I would make it some form of Resistable Concealment as well.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

TheComet
Comrade
Comrade

Postby TheComet » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:23 am

Problem solved. I was misinterpreting the player's intentions. I thought he was going for a 'forget me' power sort of like the Silence from Doctor Who. What he really wanted was something more akin to the'somebody else's problem field ' where people just ignore his presence.

Easy fix: add the Phantasm limitation to 10 ranks of Concealment. He's imperceptible by all senses except touch, and if he interacts with an opponent they get a Will save to realize he's there.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”