Cursed Sword Help

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
PsionicFox
Bystander
Bystander

Cursed Sword Help

Postby PsionicFox » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:52 am

Hi folks.

I'm building a character who carries a cursed sword. The blade is bloodthirsty, and if it isn't 'fed' every 12-24 hours, it starts to drain life from its wielder.

I was wondering what would be the best way to stat this as a Drawback. Its probably only worth a point or two, but just wanted to get people's thoughts on the idea.

Thanks in advance!

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Cursed Sword Help

Postby kenseido » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:58 am

Mecha and Manga has a Drawback that covers this called Hunger. At baseline, each day you spend without obtaining whatever it is you need, you gain a Bruised condition. The Bruised condition does not heal until you obtain what you hunger for, and they are cumulative. Go five days without it: 5 Bruised levels.

Once a day is considered Uncommon Frequency (+1pp). The intensity is based on how easy to obtain; +0 for relatively common to +2 for truly exotic and strange. Then you adjust the frequency based on the Time and Progression chart.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

PsionicFox
Bystander
Bystander

Postby PsionicFox » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:12 am

So Hunger (Feed the Sword Blood Every Day; -2)?

That could work.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:41 pm

I would put the Drawback on the sword itself, unless the character would be affected by the Hunger is he lost the sword as well. It may seem nitpickey, but I look at a character build and I see a difference between a Drawback on a Device and a Drawback on a person.

I also see a difference between a character with a high Charisma and low Bluff skill vs one with a low Charisma and high Bluff skill, even if the final numbers are the same. A lot of people don't.

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:20 pm

Given that most vampiric swords are based on Stormbringer, and Stormbringer was intended to be a representation of addiction, then one could play the "Hunger" as being either the blade's hunger for lifeforce or, if the blade is missing, the characters' withdrawal from (hunger for) the sword. That build would mean the effect of the drawback is the same regardless if the sword is present or not; thus neither the player or GM need to bother tracking/combining the two cases.

i.e. Sword not fed and/or not present per day => Hunger (bruised condition).

PsionicFox
Bystander
Bystander

Postby PsionicFox » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:36 pm

That's an excellent idea!

How much should that be worth though? Two points? Three?

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Yeah, I would call it Moderate, so 2pp. Drawing blood is actually easy, but has consequences. I would also say that you can't draw your own blood to satisfy it.

PsionicFox
Bystander
Bystander

Postby PsionicFox » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Yeah, especially since the character has Regen.

Hunger (Haven't held the Sword for a Day/Must Draw a foes Blood; -2)

That seems good.

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:11 am

Clearly the character's regen (and general rest/recuperation) should not be able to fix the Hunger condition; otherwise the drawback would not cause a negative effect for the character and therefor is not actually a drawback at all!

Indeed, unless the Hunger state resists all healing (except at GM story-level), if the character is in a party with a healer (or has access to a method of healing on a regular basis), it becomes "not a drawback" as there's so little effort taken to counteract it.

PsionicFox
Bystander
Bystander

Postby PsionicFox » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:13 am

There's no in-group healing, and the Hunger drawback states that the Bruised conditions it causes cannot be healed by the character through the use of healing abilities or regeneration.

So I think I'm covered.

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:09 am

Excellent!
:D

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”