Some questions

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Doctor Vile
Sidekick
Sidekick

Some questions

Postby Doctor Vile » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:54 am

I have a few different questions that maybe some of you can help me with. All of this will be for 2Nd edition rules.

1.) I'm trying to create a version of Dim Mak from Palladium's Ninjas and Superspies that once you hit a target with it, it keeps them from healing till they can find a cure. How can I represent this in M&M? Can I use a continuous Nullify (Healing) and do it? I need this to totally cause the Healing power, Regeneration and natural healing to no longer work. Would a continuous Drain Constitution work better for this?

2.) Speaking of a continuous Drain Constitution, how does this work? Does it drain the one time and is permanent or does it keep attacking each round trying to drain the Constitution?

3.) Does anyone know of a good way to replicate the device used in the new game Watch Dogs? Basically, he can use it to control anything electrical from what I can tell, it's like he has maybe a AI that has hacked the world.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated...thanks.
"If you're not cheating, you're not trying."

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Some questions

Postby kenseido » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:13 am

1. Incurable is a Power Feat that causes an attack to not be healable by Regeneration or Healing, only through natural mean. I know of know way to block natural healing. Also, if the Regeneration or Healing is bought with the Power Feat Persistent, then that overrides the Incurable, and the powers will work. Drain CON with a slow fade might work.

2. Not sure.

3. Not familiar with Watchdogs, but Datalink 9 will allows you to control any computer on the planet. Machine Control Power Feat extends that to machines. You still have to make normal skill checks to accomplish things. You can use other powers, like Mind Control, Affects Objects, Limited to Technology if you want to control any technology. Since most objects will have no Will score, the Affects Objects means an automatic failure. Machine Animation is another way to go. Probably want some sort of array of all of these.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Doctor Vile
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doctor Vile » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:12 am

kenseido wrote:1. Incurable is a Power Feat that causes an attack to not be healable by Regeneration or Healing, only through natural mean. I know of know way to block natural healing. Also, if the Regeneration or Healing is bought with the Power Feat Persistent, then that overrides the Incurable, and the powers will work. Drain CON with a slow fade might work.

2. Not sure.

3. Not familiar with Watchdogs, but Datalink 9 will allows you to control any computer on the planet. Machine Control Power Feat extends that to machines. You still have to make normal skill checks to accomplish things. You can use other powers, like Mind Control, Affects Objects, Limited to Technology if you want to control any technology. Since most objects will have no Will score, the Affects Objects means an automatic failure. Machine Animation is another way to go. Probably want some sort of array of all of these.

Ok that is helpful. Now if I can get an answer on the continuous Drain.
"If you're not cheating, you're not trying."

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:45 pm

As for #2, I rechecked Drain in the Ultimate Powers book.

There is no mention of Duration as an option. This does not mean it is not allowed, but on an unclear power what the Duration would do, they are pretty good about clarifying it there. Under Damage, upping the Duration from Instant means that as long as the effect is maintained, the affected has to save each round. However, Drain doesn't say this, instead it lists options like Poison (effects happen again in one minute) and Disease (effects happen every day until the save is passed); which makes me think if Duration was an option, they would have listed it.

Since I can find no clarification under the ORQ forum, I would have to use my judgement and say you can't increase the Duration on a Drain power.

Edit: I guess I should add that I have a bias against powers like this. Putting a Duration on Drain is probably perfectly legal and would function like one on a Damage. However, powers like this - while not truly game-breaking - do give a significant advantage as to be what I call PL breaking. They give a character a significant advantage over more straight forward builds, that they appear higher PL by comparison.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:38 am

kenseido wrote:... and Disease (effects happen every day until the save is passed); which makes me think if Duration was an option, they would have listed it.
Disease also prevents recovery until cured. A disease drained trait will remain drained; the points won't return each round like normal.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”