A Flaw and a Drawback

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Ash Williams
Sidekick
Sidekick

A Flaw and a Drawback

Postby Ash Williams » Sat May 25, 2013 2:27 pm

So, I'm working on a team of characters, and there's a couple of ideas I wanna use. Feel free to offer criticism and stuff.

FLAW: Inactive Power (-2): Basically, the character has the potential for a certain power (or set of powers); but for some reason, something has prevented the character from using it. A good example is Tempest; it was explained that all of those powers of his could've been activated early on; it just required the right "trigger". In a similar sense, the character I'm working on has a connection to a cosmic energy field similar to the Phoenix Force; it's just currently inactive.

DRAWBACK: Monstrous (1 point): The character is creepy-looking (Freddy Krueger burns, Nightcrawler-style demonic appearance, whatever). This affects their interaction with others. Sometimes, they have a way to cover up their appearance (like a mask or image-inducer); otherwise, they're freaky enough to affect their interactions.
Find something to believe in. And find it for yourself. And when you do, pass it on to the future. - Iroquois Pliskin

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: A Flaw and a Drawback

Postby kenseido » Sat May 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Ash Williams wrote:FLAW: Inactive Power (-2): Basically, the character has the potential for a certain power (or set of powers); but for some reason, something has prevented the character from using it. A good example is Tempest; it was explained that all of those powers of his could've been activated early on; it just required the right "trigger". In a similar sense, the character I'm working on has a connection to a cosmic energy field similar to the Phoenix Force; it's just currently inactive.

How is this more of a limitation than Uncontrolled at -1?

Ash Williams wrote:DRAWBACK: Monstrous (1 point): The character is creepy-looking (Freddy Krueger burns, Nightcrawler-style demonic appearance, whatever). This affects their interaction with others. Sometimes, they have a way to cover up their appearance (like a mask or image-inducer); otherwise, they're freaky enough to affect their interactions.

Would this be on top of Noticeable? Obviously, a monstrous appearance could be used to aid in Intimidate checks as well as limit Diplomacy checks.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Ash Williams
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Ash Williams » Sat May 25, 2013 9:00 pm

kenseido wrote:How is this more of a limitation than Uncontrolled at -1?

I got to thinking, and I figured that the creator of the character would be the one to decide what exactly the "trigger" would be. Basically, a hybrid of Unreliable and Check Required.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Sat May 25, 2013 10:52 pm

Are you saying the they have to make a check, and even then it only works half the time. That could get frustrating.

I will also point out that most GMs on the board feel Check Required in 2e is only valid if the check will only succeed about half the time, meaning they need to roll an 11 or better. It's to cheap to buy up your skill to an auto-success and make out like a bandit on the Flaw.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

XLS
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby XLS » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:34 am

Ash Williams wrote:DRAWBACK: Monstrous (1 point): The character is creepy-looking (Freddy Krueger burns, Nightcrawler-style demonic appearance, whatever). This affects their interaction with others. Sometimes, they have a way to cover up their appearance (like a mask or image-inducer); otherwise, they're freaky enough to affect their interactions.
This seems more like a complication than a drawback (sort of like Prejudice in M&M p. 123). When the PC has to interact with others who don't know who she is, she gets a HP. (Obviously, if the hero is part of the city's main team of defenders, the hero isn't going to be treated negatively despite her appearance-- like the Thing in the Fantastic Four.)

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”