Dune Technology / Setting

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
PamelaIsley
Zealot
Zealot

Dune Technology / Setting

Postby PamelaIsley » Tue May 21, 2013 8:03 am

Hi all,

Has anyone attempted to stat out Dune technology (such as how the shield would interact with lasguns or slow blade penetration)?

Is there anything complicated about it? I'm guessing that the shield-lasgun explosion would just be handwaved by a GM (there are actually nice rules for randomizing the size of the explosion in the LUG Dune game).

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Dune Technology / Setting

Postby Greyman » Tue May 21, 2013 10:56 am

It's more or less an Immunity to Ranged attacks, with a drawback of becoming a nuclear explosion when hit with a laser. With laser weapons being prohibited technology in the setting, they should be encountered (and used) fairly rarely.

Technically the shield provides an immunity to swift Melee strikes too. However as most combatants use martial arts designed to overcome this, a simple Immunity to Critical Hits might be more appropriate.

In practice, what the shield does in the setting is force combatant to be: between equipment (tanks and ornithopters), sieges against fortifications, or between close-quarters fighters.

PamelaIsley
Zealot
Zealot

Postby PamelaIsley » Wed May 22, 2013 9:27 am

That makes some sense.

I wonder if there shouldn't be some slow blade skill that rules out non-trained combatants from being able to hurt someone who is using a shield, but reduces the effectiveness of a shield to almost nothing if someone is trained to fight against it. Clearly Sardaukar and Atreides soldiers are killing each other while wearing shields during the Harkonnen sneak attack. But it is unclear if a normal person could just pick up a sword and damage a House trooper wearing a shield.

PamelaIsley
Zealot
Zealot

Postby PamelaIsley » Wed May 29, 2013 9:58 am

I'm thinking of a shield in this way:

Shield: Device 5 (Immunity (Projectile weapons, Critical Hits):22, Vulnerable: Lasguns (-1 PP); Protection:5, Vulnerable: Shield Fighting (-1 PP)); 20 PP

Shield Fighting could be a special feat that shows training in fighting against shields. I'd ideally like it to carry a penalty when fighting unshielded opponents (like Paul had when he fought Jamis). That drawback could then be bought off by a further feat called something like Adaptable Fighting, meaning you know how to switch back and forth between shielded and unshielded opponents.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”