Pulling and Enemy towards you

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
PauloAM
Bystander
Bystander

Pulling and Enemy towards you

Postby PauloAM » Tue May 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Hello people! This is my first post and I would like to know how would you guys devise a power that's used for pulling an enemy towards an adjacent square.

I have a player who is playing Darius (from the game League of Legends) and the way I used to solve this was with a Move Object effect. I know that this effect doesn't allow moving characters around, only objects, but it says in the end that you CAN make grab and trip attacks. So, I read the trip rules, and they say that if your trip attack is successful, the target ends up prone in a square adjacent to you...would that mean that I can instantly move an unwilling and distant target up to a square next to me by successfully tripping him with Move Object?

Thanks for the attention!

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Pulling and Enemy towards you

Postby Greyman » Sun May 19, 2013 4:05 am

In second edition, throwing characters is a move action added to the standard action of the grapple check -- making it a full round action. This works with both native strength and Move Object.
PauloAM wrote:So, I read the trip rules, and they say that if your trip attack is successful, the target ends up prone in a square adjacent to you...would that mean that I can instantly move an unwilling and distant target up to a square next to me by successfully tripping him with Move Object?
No, that rule does not apply to ranged trips. It's for the default melee attack only.

However, the Trip power does have an official Knockback extra, which throws an opponent away from you. This models a repulsor beam effect. So it seems reasonable to customise a Traction extra, pulling the opponent to you, for the same cost.

Traction Trip would thus cost 2 points per rank, representing a nice force yank effect.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun May 19, 2013 7:03 am

Mecha and Manga also added the "Up in the air" Feat for Climbing Kick, a paired Damage/Trip with Knockback power, which allowed you to choose the direction of knockback. I've found it particularly useful.

PauloAM
Bystander
Bystander

Postby PauloAM » Sun May 19, 2013 6:53 pm

:| sorry guys, forgot to mention I'm playing 3rd edition. I saw no rules for throwing unwilling targets, and no knockback rules either...I found one thing that could help me though: in the grapple rules it says one can move the grappled target up to one's speed (but only in the next round, and only with another resisted strenght test). This is so far the best way I found to solve my problem, making a Move Object grapple and then creating kind of a "tug-o-war" situation where Darius slowly pulls the enemy. Oh, and I also applied a flaw on his Move Object, stating that he can only move things toward himself. You guys know any better ways? On 3rd edition I mean.

Thanks for the attention by the way!

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun May 19, 2013 7:08 pm

:) Ah... with you posting in the 2E forum, I guess we kind of assumed 2E.

PauloAM
Bystander
Bystander

Postby PauloAM » Sun May 19, 2013 7:22 pm

xD omg, I'm sorry, I swear I didn't notice. Where should I put this doubt? Didn't find a 3E section, is it in a different website?

[edit] I posted it on the General M&M section, thanks anyway!

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”