A question about Arrays and Flaws/Drawbacks

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
EroGaki
Bystander
Bystander

A question about Arrays and Flaws/Drawbacks

Postby EroGaki » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:18 pm

I can't seem to find a straight answer about this, so I thought I'd post here to see if someone can explain to me how power flaws and drawbacks interact with an Array. For example:

Let's say I have a Magic array (2 points per rank) with the area extra added to it (thereby increasing the cost to 3 points per rank). What happens if I add the power loss drawback to that entire array that prevents me from using magic if I can't speak or use my hands? Is the cost of the array reduced back down to 2 points per rank?

I ask because I'm trying to build a genie based character who uses a custom magic array based around alchemy/transmutation, and I can't seem to get the points right.

Umbral Reaver
Bystander
Bystander

Re: A question about Arrays and Flaws/Drawbacks

Postby Umbral Reaver » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:47 pm

A drawback is a flat reduction of cost.

Your array is 3 pp/rank -1 pp.

EroGaki
Bystander
Bystander

Postby EroGaki » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:58 pm

Ah, yeah that makes sense. I suppose using a drawback was a poor example. Same question, but what if I used a flaw in the array rather than a drawback, such as Distracting. How would that alter the final price?

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:01 pm

The Flaw would reduce the cost of the array. So a Rank 10 array with Distracting Flaw would cost 10 points.

I don't know if its a rule, but I also require every power slot in the array have the same or lower final cost. So if you put Insubstantial in one of the above array slots, either you can only buy Insubstantial 2 (10pp). If you want Insubstantial 4, then you will need to apply enough flaws to reduce the cost to 10pp or less.

Anything else is abusive of the rules.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:04 pm

There's a couple of answers I can give you. First, if you're applying flaws and extras to the array, they do add and remove from the cost per rank. Area is an absolutely biarre thing to actually add to an array, though. As shorthand for "we're applying this to each of the powers", it works, but flaws and extras should apply to the actual power at hand such as the Array power. Thus, Extras and Flaws should apply to the array itself, generally to the switching of the array slots.

That said, second, always consider whether the Flaw is actually a Flaw. Not all arrays need to be switched frequently, so a Flaw may not really apply. In some situations, consider whether it's more worthy of a Drawback because it will happen less than half the time.

EroGaki
Bystander
Bystander

Postby EroGaki » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:29 pm

I agree, Fuzzyboots; area would be kind of weird. I only used that as an example, because I could think of any other edges off the top of my head.

The array in question is based on alchemy; the transmutation of one substance into another. The extra will more than likely be continuous. I'd like the flaw to be Check Required; basically, the character has to have an understanding of the chemical compositions of the thing being transformed, along with knowledge of physics. The main powers of the array would be transform (any inanimate to any other inanimate) and create object (using the matter in the air to create solid objects).

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:08 am

I think your best approach is to simply apply that Flaw and that Extra to each of the powers because it isn't something intrinsic to the array itself.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”