Inverse Deflection?

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Umbral Reaver
Bystander
Bystander

Inverse Deflection?

Postby Umbral Reaver » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:37 am

Deflection is awkward.

If an attack hits, you can make a deflection attempt against it. Since deflection is capped by defense, that makes it less useful for a high defense character as they're already going to be hit less often and thus have fewer opportunities to deflect, and even when they do get hit, won't have an easier time of deflecting.

Is there a way to build a power that means attacks are deflected/redirected if they miss?

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Inverse Deflection?

Postby Doctor Devious » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:52 am

Very easily by mechanic: reaction (potentially ranged) damage, reacting to a missed attack.
Very hard by descriptor, character concept and game balance I should imagine.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:47 am

You know, I was similarly speculating at one point on how Homing was less helpful for high accuracy characters. After all, if you always hit, you never get the homing effect. And, of course, with higher accuracy, you're not hitting as hard, which means it's more likely your target will just shake it off with a Toughness save, and you get no additional attempts.

Inviktus
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Inviktus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:49 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:You know, I was similarly speculating at one point on how Homing was less helpful for high accuracy characters. After all, if you always hit, you never get the homing effect. And, of course, with higher accuracy, you're not hitting as hard, which means it's more likely your target will just shake it off with a Toughness save, and you get no additional attempts.

I expect that's why Homing is only a power feat, while Perception range is an extra.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”