Seeking feedback on a "Fusion" power (reverse gestalt)

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Okk
Groupie
Groupie

Seeking feedback on a "Fusion" power (reverse gestalt)

Postby Okk » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:20 am

I've been working on building a power that allows multiple characters to fuse together, similar to a Gestalt but somewhat inverted. It might be appropriate for characters who can merge together as by fusion in Dragon Ball Z, combining giant robots similar to Voltron, or other such character concepts. This kind of power is a complicated, murky issue, though, and I would really appreciate feedback and suggestions on it. I tried the by-the-books approach when designing this power, but the rules caused some unusual quirks to pop up. This is what I have so far:

Fusion

Effect: Summon Combined Form
Action: Standard (active)
Range: Touch
Duration: Sustained
Saving Throw: None
Cost: 2 points per rank

You can fuse with another character, who must also have this power, to form a single entity. You and the other character must be adjacent to each other and must be in contact. The character with the most ranks is considered the "Leader" and must make a standard action, while the other character must make a move action in order to assist. Both characters are replaced by the fused form.
To find the full rank of the effect, take the number of ranks possessed by the Leader and add two ranks to the effect for the second character, plus one additional rank for every ten ranks the second character possesses in this power. Thus, if one character has twelve ranks, and the other character has ten, the effective rank is fifteen (twelve for the first character, plus three from the second.) The fused form is built on (effective rank x 15) power points. Generally, for this power to be useful, the fused form's power point total should be greater than either of the separate characters.
The fused form can break apart into its component characters as a free action. This effect is maintained by the fused form; if the fused form becomes unable to maintain the power, then it separates into its component characters. Damage is tracked for the fused form separately from its component characters.

Feats
Distant: Characters can fuse from a greater distance: treat each rank of this power feat as a rank of the Teleport effect. The distance between the characters cannot be greater than the Distant power feat's range on the Extended Range table. The fused form can appear anywhere that one of the component characters is, chosen when the Fusion power is activated. When the fused form separates, the component characters appear together in the same location; double the cost of this feat if the component characters can appear anywhere within the feat's rank of the fused form on the Extended Range table when the fused form breaks up.

Flaws
Feedback: The fused form suffers the worst damage condition(s) of any of the component characters, while the component characters all suffer the same damage condition(s) as the fused form when they separate.

Drawbacks
Progression: Ordinarily, the use of this power requires the assistance of one additional character. Each application of this drawback moves the number of additional characters required one step up on the Progression Table. Each additional character beyond the first also adds two additional ranks to the effect, plus one additional rank for each ten ranks that they possess.

I've built this power as follows: Summon (2 points), Does not require commands (+1), Heroic (+1), No simultaneous existence (-1), Combined effects only (-1). The Does not require commands extra is something Fuzzyboots mentioned a while back in regards to the Duplication Power, and No simultaneous existence is drawn from Gestalt. The power also makes use of the Combining Effects rules on page 22 of Ultimate Power, and the value of the corresponding Flaw is ad hoc. For the sake of simplicity, assisting characters are considered to take 10 on the Aid action. Normally characters could be linked mentally instead of by physical contact to assist, and any number of characters with appropriate powers could offer assistance, but I've put descriptor-based limitations on this. Ordinarily, the fused form cannot exceed Campaign Power Level Limits, but GMs might opt to allow moderate excesses over the limits, or to use some variant of Mecha and Manga's Power Tiers option.

There are still a few issues with this power, though. To begin, there's the matter of actual costs. The Leader is required to take full ranks in this power, but it seems that anyone assisting only needs to take a single rank. It may be appropriate to require all participants to have equal ranks, or perhaps to adjust the way the effective rank is calculated; any suggestions here are appreciated.

Also, I feel like I ought to specify whether anybody with this power can assist, or only a specific individual selected at character creation, but I'm not sure what to do about that. The point value of the Progression drawback is up in the air as well.

As for control, technically the Leader should have control over the fused form, but this takes any assisting players out of the game entirely. My solution is that all of the summoning characters control the fused form together, and disagreements are settled with opposed ability checks; Wisdom may be appropriate for merged characters, while Intelligence or Dexterity might work for some kind of giant robot.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Seeking feedback on a "Fusion" power (reverse gestalt)

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:48 pm

I think the major issue you're going to run into is PL limits. Unless you want a resultant character who's simply much broader... at which point you have to ask why you don't want two attacks per round with that broader capability spread among two characters.

Okk
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Okk » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:10 pm

The issue of power level limit does come up with certain character concepts. Powers such as Battle Form or Combo Finish, both from Mecha and Manga, or even just the use of elemental absorption, seem like they ought to be able to bend the limits somewhat, given the situational limitations they impose. In practice, one can always negotiate such excesses with their GM, but when dealing with the theory of a character build, I think PL limit is generally assumed to be a hard rule, even if it doesn't always make sense.
Well, that's why I mentioned it, really. It seems like bumping up the PL limit for use of this power is almost necessary to justify taking the power at all.

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:25 am

In comic-world, very often the fusing characters have some power/device(s) in common; be that "Dragon power" or each character weilding one of the "Rings of BlahDeBlah".

In such cases one could write-up the power, but leave it as an HP power stunt to activate (per character), thus keeping the fused form in reserve for the big-bad fight at the end. Once might - in such as limited case and given there are quite a few HPs being burned here - allow a PL increase for the combined form as a beneficent-GM-perk : HP's allow a +2 PL (for an effect - but only when spent for that purpose) so perhaps that might be a target: and then throw in a fatigue state to pay for that +2PL bonus when the form splits.

Okk
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Okk » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:33 pm

You mean, something like making a use of Extra Effort a part of the power's nature? That's an interesting idea. It could be an explicit part of the power's description, or it could be assumed, like a +0 Extra or some such....
How does increasing a power's rank by Extra Effort mix with summon-based powers, though? It seems like the sort of thing you don't want to do on the fly, but I'm also curious how that "for one round" part plays out.

I think I'm a little more concerned though with costs. Not cost per rank necessarily, but how many ranks each character is required to purchase. That seems like it could use some fiddling, and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”